Fremont is a well-managed and innovative city, and has recently generated national attention by placing 7th on the list of the Greenest Cities in America according to a 2018 Wallet Hub survey and ranking 3rd Best City in the Nation to raise a family, according to another 2018 survey by Wallet Hub. Located in the heart of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, Fremont prides itself on innovation, green technology, a low crime rate, great schools, a low unemployment rate, quality parks and nearby open space, and an incredibly diverse population of over 235,000 residents. As a full service City, Fremont employs over 937 regular employees and has a General Fund budget of $205 million.
Fremont is an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, collaboration, mutual respect, and diversity. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service.
Under general supervision, the Mechanic Assistant performs preventive maintenance services and safety inspections on all City diesel, gasoline, hybrid, electric, CNG, and other alternatively fueled automotive vehicles, equipment and generators. May also perform minor repairs and component installations and removals on a wide variety of vehicles and equipment which do not require the skills of a mechanic; perform related duties as required.
EXAMPLES OF RESPONSIBILITIES
- Perform routine preventive maintenance services and safety inspections on all City vehicles and equipment.
- Perform work in the field, Police Department shop and/or the Fleet Service Center.
- Check, drain, and/or replenishes fluids, lubricants, gasoline and diesel fuels, and battery charge levels.
- Inflate, inspect, repair, and change automotive and heavy equipment tires.
- Balance tires.
- Clean, wash, wax, and detail vehicles.
- Replace and/or repair lubricant fittings, fuel pumps, light bulbs and fuses, and other electrical components.
- Inspect, maintain, and replace automotive vehicles gasoline and diesel-powered equipment batteries.
- Perform minor/semi-skilled mechanical repairs on vehicles and equipment which are easily accessible.
- Use equipment such as tire changers; tire balancers; hoists; high pressure washer; electronic diagnostic equipment; smog tester; computers; battery analyzer and other equipment associated with maintenance and repair of City vehicles and equipment.
- Operate tow truck and forklift.
- Diagnose minor electrical and mechanical problems and refers major problems to the Fleet Mechanic II.
- Service diesel and gas generators at all City facilities.
- Maintain the shop in a clean and orderly condition.
- Clean up fuel spills.
- Receive and sign for deliveries of tires, materials and parts.
- Maintain related shop, maintenance and inventory records.
- Install police car transmitter/receivers and computers.
The successful candidate will have any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skills would be: high school diploma or equivalent, and six months of professional experience servicing vehicles or motorized equipment. Highly desirable experience includes: at least one year of professional experience servicing motorized equipment; at least one year of technical training; professional experience servicing heavy trucks, fire apparatus, and generators. ASE Certification is highly desirable.
REQUIRED LICENSES & CERTIFICATES
Possession of a valid Class C California Driver’s License at time of appointment is required.
Possession of a valid Class B California Driver’s License within 6 months of appointed is required.
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR IN A CANDIDATE:
The City is searching for a self-motivated individual to join our team. In addition to the minimum qualifications and required licensures, candidates must have strong customer service skills and the ability to prioritize assignments in a fast-paced, team oriented environment.
Fremont offers an attractive benefits package, which includes, but is not limited to: CalPERS retirement plan, paid holidays, medical, dental and other city paid benefits. A complete benefits summary can be found at www.fremont.gov.
HOW TO APPLY
To view the complete job announcement and application instructions, visit www.fremont.gov/cityjobs.
The first review of applications is March 4, 2019. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.