THE CITY OF FREMONT
Fremont is a well-managed and innovative city, and has recently generated national attention by ranking second on the “Best Run City in America” list by 24/7 Wall Street, and America’s third “Sharpest, Smartest City” by Reader’s Digest. Located in the heart of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, Fremont prides itself on innovation, green technology, a low crime rate, great schools, a low unemployment rate, quality parks and nearby open space, and an incredibly diverse population of over 235,439 residents. As a full service city, Fremont employs over 937 regular employees and has a General Fund budget of $205.7 million for the 2018-19 fiscal year.
Fremont is an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, collaboration, mutual respect, and diversity. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service.
THE FIRE DEPARTMENT
The Fire Department is responsible for providing the rapid delivery of fire, medical, rescue, and life safety emergency services within Fremont. Emergency services are delivered through 13 in-service fire companies from 11 strategically located fire stations in the City. Our mission is to prevent and minimize the loss of life and property threatened by the hazards of fire, medical and rescue emergencies, hazardous materials incidents, and disaster situations within the community.
Under the direction of the Fire Chief, the Fire Public Affairs Manager position manages the Department’s community engagement activities, which include a variety of public education and outreach programs as well as all public relations and communications activities. This position acts as the Department’s public information officer and is the primary contact for information by the public and media.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Lead department’s in person and online public relations activities.
- Manage and facilitate Fire Department programs and activities such as Emergency Preparedness Initiatives, Fire Public Education, Recruitment Initiatives, Volunteer Coordination/Outreach, and other special events.
- Manage the department website and content.
- Manage contracts and agreements as well as, develop content for digital media platforms, social media, web-sites, press releases, articles and public presentations.
- Develop the departments marketing and branding strategy. Make appropriate strategy recommendations.
- Build partnerships with the community and the local non-profits.
- Research, analyze, monitor and prepare reports, memorandums and recommendations to Command staff.
- Enhance existing programs and connect with the community.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE FOR THIS JOB WILL TYPICALLY HAVE
- A Bachelor’s degree in marketing, journalism, public relations, public administration, or a related field.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in public affairs, public communications and/or public relations, including two years in a lead or supervisory capacity.
WE’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE WHO IS
- Creative and energetic with excellent organization, communication, relationship building and project management skills.
- Flexible and able to work in a fast-paced environment with competing requirements, and changes in priorities and deadlines.
- Analytical and data driven who understands local government, community engagement and fire safety.
- An excellent writer and communicator.
- A social media expert.
- Able to work collaboratively with City staff, outside agencies, non-profits, businesses, residents and members of the media.
- Able to support major incidents, meetings and occasional community events after 5:00 p.m. and on periodic weekends.
- A forward thinker.
Current benefit features include: CalPERS Retirement Benefit*
- Classic Employees - 2.0% @ 60 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- New Employees - 2.0% @ 62 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- Required PERS contributions vary by plan. All required contributions are tax deferred.
- 2% City contribution to a 401(a) account.
- Cafeteria Benefits Plan for employees/dependents includes up to $2,230 monthly to purchase medical, dental and vision plans; child care and medical expenses can be paid for with pre-tax dollars.
- A generous leave plan including Management Leave.
A complete benefits summary can be found at www.fremont.gov.