Centrally located and serving as the eastern anchor of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, the City of Fremont (pop. 235,439) prides itself on being a vibrant and strategically urban community. Fremont has developed into a technological and advanced manufacturing power base that captures metropolitan living at its best. It is also one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse cities in the Bay Area.
Within its 90-square miles, Fremont boasts over 42 million square feet of office, R&D, manufacturing, and warehouse building space. It is home to a wide variety of innovative high tech, life science, and clean technology firms including Tesla Motors, Lam Research, Thermo Fisher Scientific, Redwood Systems, Boston Scientific, and Western Digital, among many others. The city’s Innovation District is known as the hottest new address for start-ups. Over the last two years, companies in Fremont received more than $400 million in venture funding according to PitchBook Data. Fremont is a City on the move!
The City of Fremont is also an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, collaboration, mutual respect, and diversity. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service.
Under general supervision of the Business Services Manager, the Police Equipment Room Specialist coordinates the Equipment Room operations within the Police Department. The incumbent provides lead direction to Equipment Room staff, and assigns, reviews and participates in a wide variety of duties involving the inventory control of police equipment, supplies, and fleet.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Maintain, suggest and implement improvements to the current inventory control system for the Police Equipment Room.
- Audit equipment inventory, vehicle key control, and other systems for accuracy and accountability. Coordinate daily operations of the Equipment Room which includes, but is not limited to: issue and collect police equipment to Police Department staff (e.g. rifles, batteries, radios, etc.), stock the Equipment Room with necessary office supplies, perform vehicle trunk audits, prepare first aid and trauma kits for vehicles, sign for deliveries and issue visitor badges to vendors, provide supplies to the Detention Center and Animal Shelter, prepare vehicles for special events (e.g. Shop with a Cop, parades, etc.)
- Coordinate the tow, transportation, cleanup, repair and service of police vehicles. Periodically required to drive in fulfillment of transporting police vehicles.
- Coordinate radio repairs with Business Services. Coordinate the repair of vehicle/report writing computers with the Information Technology Services Department.
- Schedule the Equipment Room staffing 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Fills in, as needed, for shift coverage.
- Provide technical and functional supervision to assigned Equipment Room Staff.
- Participate in the hiring of Equipment Room staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
The successful candidate will have any combination of education and/or experience that has provided the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory job performance. A typical way to obtain the required knowledge and skills would be: High school diploma or equivalent, and two years of progressively responsible, full-time work in law enforcement inventory control, property, evidence, or related law enforcement experience. Supervisory or lead experience is desirable.
A valid Class C California Driver’s License is required at time of appointment.
The Police Department is looking for a critical thinker who is able to work effectively in a fast-paced and high stress environment. The successful candidate will have knowledge of and apply superior customer service, conflict resolution, modern inventory control and process improvement. Success also requires the ability to learn the organization’s procedures and practices and work effectively in a rank organized environment.
Fremont offers an attractive benefits package, which includes, but is not limited to: CalPERS retirement plan, paid holidays, medical, dental and other city paid benefits. A complete benefits summary can be found at www.fremont.gov.