FREMONT - A CITY ON THE MOVE!
Fremont is a well-managed and innovative city, and has recently generated national attention by placing 7th on the list of the Greenest Cities in America according to a 2018 Wallet Hub survey and ranking as the 3rd Best City in the Nation to raise a family, also according to a 2018 Wallet Hub Survey. Located in the heart of the Bay Area and Silicon Valley, Fremont prides itself on innovation, green technology, a low crime rate, great schools, a low unemployment rate, quality parks and nearby open space, and an incredibly diverse population of over 232,532 residents. As a full service city, Fremont employs over 952 regular employees and has a General Fund budget of $219 million for the 2019-20 fiscal year.
The City of Fremont is also an employer that values its people, creativity, quality service, integrity, open communication, collaboration, mutual respect, and diversity. Employees find their work challenging, yet rewarding, and most importantly, enjoy the chance to make a difference through public service.
COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT MISSION STATEMENT
“To be regionally recognized as a model department that both the City and Staff can be proud of.”
Furthermore, the role of the department is to move the community toward the sustainable strategically urban community envisioned in the General Plan through strategic investments, long-range planning, community preservation activities and project-by project actions.“
The Fire Life Safety Plans Examiner will work in the Fire Section of the Building and Safety Division and will report to the Building Official. The Fire Section is responsible for Plan Review and Inspection of new projects as well as alterations or additions to existing properties and structures. This position will primarily be responsible for reviewing project documents for compliance with the City’s adopted codes with the primary focus on Life Safety Systems such as fire sprinklers, file alarms, Fire Department access, wildland urban interface, water supply and commercial kitchen systems, and ensuring compliance with the California State Fire Marshal’s adopted codes, regulations and interpretations. There is currently one Fire Life Safety Plans Examiner and this position will assist this person as well as the Fire Specialist who ensures compliance in the field through inspection and quality assurance efforts. The Fire Section reviews plans for residential, industrial, educational, commercial, institutional, mass transit, manufacturing and open space for compliance with Titles 8, 19, 24 and 25 of the California Code of Regulations.
- Review life safety submittals and fire protection systems for compliance with currently adopted fire and life safety codes, regulations and standards.
- Serve as a technical advisor to architects, engineers, developers, contractors and building owners in interpreting and enforcing fire protection requirements, fire and life safety /codes, regulations and standards.
- Coordinate with Building and Safety Personnel in establishing schedules and methods for providing fire protection plan review services; identify resource needs and effectively communicate resource status with appropriate management staff; allocate resources accordingly.
- Make field inspections of construction sites.
- Prepare reports and correspondence pertaining to fire protection engineering problems and fire and life safety code enforcement.
- Evaluate water based fire suppression systems.
- Complete other related duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Any combination of education and/or experience which provides the knowledge, skills, and abilities necessary to satisfactory job performance would be qualifying.
A typical way to obtain the required knowledge, skills and abilities would be: A.A. or A.S. degree in fire protection technology or related field, and six years of fire plan check experience in a public agency performing plan checks and inspections of fire suppression installations, fire safety inspections and enforcement of the Uniform Fire Code. Specialized plan review in Special Hazards Fire Suppression Systems or experience with Toxic Gas Monitoring Systems is required.
Incumbent must be able to travel to various locations within and outside the City of Fremont to fulfill the job responsibilities. A valid California driver’s license and satisfactory driving record is required.
California Registered Fire Protection Engineer, ICC Fire Code Certification or State Fire Marshal Plan Reviewer Certification is required within one year of date of hire.
The City is searching for a highly skilled individual who has experience working on both large industrial and commercial projects with varying building occupancies as well as more complex multi-family, multi-story residential and/or mixed-use projects. In addition, the successful candidate must possess excellent verbal and written communication abilities, as well as establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, other departments, outside agencies, consultants and applicants. Certification through the Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) as a Fire Plan Examiner and/or the National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET) in areas related to Fire Protection is highly desirable.
Current benefit features include:
- CalPERS Retirement Benefit*
- Classic Employees - 2.0% @ 60 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- New Employees - 2.0% @ 62 benefit, 3 year final average compensation.
- Required PERS contributions vary by plan. All required contributions are tax deferred.
- Cafeteria Benefits Plan for employees/dependents includes up to $2,181 monthly to purchase medical, dental and vision plans; child care and medical expenses can be paid for with pre-tax dollars.
A complete benefits summary can be found at www.fremont.gov.
HOW TO JOIN OUR TEAM
To view the complete job announcement and application instructions, visit: www.fremont.gov/cityjobs.
Applications will be considered as they are received. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately, as the recruitment may close without notice.