BACKGROUND: In service to the City of Fremont and the Tri-City community for over 35 years, the City of Fremont’s Human Services Department (HSD) provides services to youth, families, and seniors. During its tenure, HSD’s ability to build strong partnerships throughout Fremont’s diverse community has allowed it to become a trusted ally to residents who are most in need. As such, HSD is well suited to engage with hard to count populations to help educate them on the importance of the 2020 Census. Under the direction of the City Manager’s Office, the Human Services Department, through its Aging and Family Services and Family Resource Center Divisions, will provide the platform for a targeted outreach and education effort that will ensure a complete count of the Hard to Count (HTC) residents living in southern Alameda County.
THE POSITION: The Census 2020 Volunteer Coordinator will work under the direction of a Management Analyst in the Fremont City Manager’s Office to oversee a coordinated effort to recruit and train Census 2020 volunteers who can educate and assist individuals to complete their census questionnaire.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Work with targeted community leaders to recruit volunteers within diverse community organizations.
- Develop a recruitment strategy using social media, Volunteer Match, current connections and email groups.
- Recruit volunteers with strategies used to attract volunteers for the FRC’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program.
- Develop a training curriculum using tools provided by Complete Count Alameda County and State and Federal Complete Count resources as well.
- Embed Census volunteers in the FRC VITA program screening room, and at the FRC Welcome Center.
- Develop a staffing calendar for volunteers to be placed at VITA sites and the FRC Welcome Center to serve as our Question Assistance Center (QAC) at the Fremont Family Resource Center.
- Develop a strategy for conducting a complete count of the unhoused population, working in partnership with homeless service providers and the Winter Shelter. Develop a quasi-mobile Question Assistant Center, training homeless individuals to volunteer. By engaging volunteers who are experiencing homelessness in this activity, we feel other homeless individuals will be more likely to trust the information and complete the Census.
- Train volunteers to use technology required for Census completion use.
- Train partner agency volunteers on the use of technology required by this project.
- Develop a volunteer outreach schedule as well to ensure that HTC residents are educated about the Census
- Other related duties as assigned.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE: Strong interpersonal skills and experience in a program coordination and/or management role. Experience managing diverse volunteers and working with a diverse community. The Census 2020 Volunteer Coordinator must be dependable and self-directed, a quick-learner, detail oriented, organized, efficient, and able to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Advanced computer skills are highly desirable.
This temporary assignment does not include benefits.
APPLICATION INSTRUCTIONS: To view the complete job announcement and application instructions, visit www.fremont.gov/tempjobs.
Applications will be considered as they are received. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply immediately.