EARLY CHILDHOOD RECREATION (ECR) ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR
(Program hours are 8 a.m. – Noon or Noon – 4 p.m.)
$12.38 – $14.85 hourly (20-25 hours per week)
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Friday, March 23, 2018
ABOUT THE POSITION
City of Gilroy is recruiting for a part-time Early Childhood Recreation (ECR) Assistant Instructor. The goal of the Recreation Department is to provide early childhood recreational opportunities to foster social development, healthy lifestyles, build confidence and instill problem solving, listening and communications skills in participating children in a safe, stimulating and nurturing environment. This recruitment list may be used to hire substitutes and on-call Assistant Instructors in addition to the vacant position noted above.
Under general supervision of a Recreation Supervisor, plan, organize, and teach a developmental program for preschool children 30 months to 6 years of age. This position provides supervision of appropriate activities and events during program hours in conjunction with the Early Childhood Recreation Assistant Instructor and is responsible for completing and submitting monthly curriculum to the Recreation Supervisor for review and approval. This position may be a year round part-time, seasonal, or a substitute position.
The “Ideal Candidate” will have one (1) year experience working with preschool-aged children and 6 units of Early Childhood classes. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience assisting with the supervision of and assisting an instructor with classroom responsibilities, excellent customer service skills, good working relationships with fellow employees, ability to solve problems and conflicts, communicate with parents, and available to work both morning and afternoon program hours.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Observe program to ensure cleanliness and safe, proper use of facilities and equipment.
- Supervise children in the classroom and on the playground.
- Develop and instruct curriculum for classroom activities (music and movement, arts, and crafts, early math, science, language and reading skills, gross and fine motor skills development, size, color, and shape discrimination, etc.).
- Prepare the physical environment and materials for daily activities.
- Provide ordered arrangement, appearance and décor of the learning environment.
- Assist in ordering and maintaining supplies and maintaining equipment inventory.
- Research new concepts, ideas, and resources for inclusion in the curriculum.
- Share ideas, materials, time and resources with other members of the staff with a commitment to the concept of team spirit.
- Responsible for parent contacts, inform parents of philosophy and program curriculum and child’s development.
- Participate in related training programs and staff meetings.
- May supervise and direct other personnel, including Early Childhood Recreation Assistant Instructor, Recreation Leader I, and Recreation Leader II positions.
- Perform a variety of clerical and administrative support functions for assigned program area as needed.
- Assist in training other recreation personnel.
- Render first aid in the event of injury.
- Keep activity and attendance records.
- Open and close buildings and maintain in clean and orderly manner.
- Perform related work as required.
REQUIREMENTS, TRAINING EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year of experience in supervising children, communicating with parents and the general public, preferably in a preschool setting.
- Six (6) units of Early Childhood Education (ECE) from an accredited college or university.
- Adult and Infant Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED certificates preferred at time of application and must possess within six (6) months of hire date.
- Valid tuberculosis (TB) Certificate.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License along with a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Pass a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Part-time employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Part-time employees are enrolled in the PARS retirement system with the City making an employer contribution and the employee contribution (6.2%) being deducted from your payroll check. The PARS retirement system is in lieu of participating in social security. You will, however, participate in the Medicare portion of social security as that is a required program.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior month via direct deposit. Part-time employees reports hours worked from 21st of the month to the 20th of the next month.
Part-Time employees must have availability to work the designated work schedule for the position and must be available to work additional or less hours as needed. The maximum work hours are 25 hours per week and may not exceed 108 hours per month.
All recreation employees will attend a once-a-year, week-long training session.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, there are four (4) required items that must be submitted in order for you to be considered:
- City of Gilroy employment application which includes specific supplemental questions.
- Written documentation of Early Childhood Education (ECE) units
- A list of five (5) work-related references (previous supervisors) with contact information.
- CPR Certification, if possessed
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This position is closing on Friday, March 23, 2018. To be considered please submit all application materials on or before the closing date. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process.
In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, TB/PPD Testing, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. In addition, final candidates are required to provide a current California DMV report (by going to any DMV location or on-line at www.dmv.ca.gov) dated within in the last 30 days. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include your e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.