Salary: $84,768 - $112,992-Annually Plus Excellent Benefits
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Wednesday, March 28, 2018
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting to fill the position of Finance Manager in the Finance and Information Technology Department. The goal of this department is to: provide timely and accurate financial information to city management, city council and the public and administer the city’s assets including cash and investments, in a prudent and responsible manner.
Under general direction of the Finance Director, is directly responsible for functions within the accounting, budget, purchasing, payroll, utility billing, and/or payroll units and in the absence of the Director, assumes the responsibility for all Finance Department operations. The Finance Manager is a confidential, unrepresented, exempt-level position that provides analytical data, information, and reports in support of the City’s labor negotiations function.
This is an excellent mid management opportunity for a hands-on Finance Manager with a breadth of financial services experience and skills. Together with the position qualifications, the ideal candidate will:
- Have a broad knowledge base in the areas of local government accounting, financial reporting, budgeting, grant management, utility billing, and business licensing.
- Understand that the role of the Finance Department in supporting the work of all other departments in the City.
- Possess managerial skills for Division staff and operations including supervision of personnel.
- Have a strong aptitude for clear, concise, and direct communication, as well as the ability to succinctly summarize complex financial information.
- Have a leadership style that is characterized by integrity, ethical decision making, responsibility, collaboration, and customer service.
- Represent the Finance Department well and make effective presentations in public situations including City Council meetings and other community meetings in the absence of the Finance Director or as assigned.
- Be a skilled and organized manager who will promote an atmosphere of teamwork and professional development.
- Ability to prepare accurate, concise and comprehensive fiscal analysis and reports.
- Have a positive, can do attitude setting an example for others within the department and throughout the organization.
- Possess strong interpersonal communication skills and work style that includes a balance of humor and humility.
- Leading the biennial budget process
- Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) budget system implementation
- Cost allocation plan study
- Business license system implementation
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Manage one of the two finance divisions in the Finance Department: accounting or budget/revenue which may include but not limited to: accounting and auditing, which includes general accounting, budget, payroll, revenue, and accounts payable; in the absence of the Finance Director, assume the responsibility for managing all Finance Department operations. These include: purchasing; utility billing; business licenses; general accounts receivable and collections; and the Information Technology division.
- Implement policies and procedures in connection with the aforementioned activities; institute new and revised procedures as appropriate; and recommend modifications to existing policies and the establishment of new policies to the Finance Director.
- Supervise or provide for the supervision of unit staff and for all Department staff (accounting, finance, and information technology) in the absence of the Finance Director. This encompasses: the assignment, prioritization and review of work; approval of time off; staff evaluations; and the making of effective recommendations on all personnel actions.
- Prepare and post journal entries and budget amendments; and prepare accounting and management reports.
- Monitor the Fixed Asset Inventory; and coordinate the annual financial audit and Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR).
- Prepare, administer and manage grants received by the city from outside public and private organizations.
- Manage the preparation of interim and annual financial reports, and manage the financial reporting requirements of the City’s Federal and State grant programs.
- Manage the preparation of the City’s biennial operating budget and associated financial reporting requirements.
- Provide financial information (including financial system assistance) and guidance to other City departments.
- Manage the preparation of financial analysis and studies that could include: comprehensive fee studies, cost allocation plans and indirect service charge allocations.
- As necessary, conduct Division meetings and attend Department meetings; and represent the Department or City at conferences and other meetings.
- Perform related work as required.
REQUIREMENTS, TRAINING, EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance, business administration, public administration, or other similar field of study.
- Five years of increasingly responsible experience in accounting and financial reporting, including at least two (2) years of supervisory and governmental accounting experience.
- A Certified Public Accountant, Certified Public Finance Officers, or Certified Government Finance Managers accreditation is highly desirable.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass an employment background check including a Department of Justice criminal record check and a credit check.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) desired, but not required.
Health Allowance and Flexible Benefits Plan
Depending upon the number of dependents the health allowance ranges from $736.02 to $1943.68 per month for core health benefits. Subject to specific rules, a cash back program is also available with proof of other medical coverage. City employees participate in the PERS Health Program, and may choose their medical coverage from a variety of providers. The City’s flexible benefits plan includes medical and dental coverage as core benefits. A range of optional benefits including vision care and medical and dependent care accounts are also available. A term life insurance policy equal to annual salary, long-term disability plan, and an employee assistance plan are provided at City expense.
The City currently offers the PERS 2.5% at 55 pension plan for “classic” members and 2% at 62 for “new” members. Currently, the city pays the full employer portion of the retirement contribution for “classic” members and 50% of the total normal cost for “new” members. The “classic” member contribution of 8% is a pre-tax payroll deduction; “new” members shall pay 50% of the total normal cost as set by CalPERS. Anyone hired on or after January 1, 2013 will be subject to the applicable provisions, retirement formulas, and plan benefits/restrictions associated with the Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013.
Vacation, Sick Leave, Holidays
Annual vacation ranges from two to four weeks per year, based on years of City of Gilroy service. Employees accrue eight hours of sick leave each month. Employees receive 44 hours of personal leave time and 56 hours of administrative leave time in July of each fiscal year which must be used during the fiscal year. The City observes 10 paid holidays each year.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior calendar month via direct deposit
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
- A cover letter that explains your specific interest in this position with the City of Gilroy
- A detailed resume that focuses on relevant finance, accounting, and budgeting experience and education
- A list of five work-related references with contact information (Note: references will not be contacted without candidate’s authorization and this step is not completed until after the interview process).
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: Wednesday, March 28, 2018
Interview and Practical Exercise: Monday, April 9, 2018
Finalist Interviews: Later in week of April 9th or week of April 16th
(*Note: The examination process may be changed as needed by the City.)
Please note only complete application packets will be reviewed. All applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications for this position. Based upon review, only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.