PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATOR
$6,327.42 - $7,902.08 monthly
plus 6% holiday pay and excellent benefits
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Applications will be reviewed periodically
Please apply ASAP
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for the full-time position Public Safety Communicator in the Police Department. This is a lateral position requiring two and one-half years of public safety dispatching work experience. The general goal of the Communications Unit is to provide 24 hour emergency communication response for all police, fire, and medical emergency calls for service in a courteous and professional manner.
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Supervisor and under the functional supervision of the Watch Commander, answer emergency and routine calls from the public for Police, Fire, and medical assistance and general service and dispatch necessary personnel and equipment, perform other related duties as required. Work shifts including weekends, holidays, nights and evening hours.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
• Receive telephone complaints concerning crimes, fires, medical emergencies, public works calls, and other requests.
• Promptly and courteously obtain pertinent information regarding the calls for service utilizing proper radio/telephone etiquette.
• Determine the priority and promptly dispatch appropriate Police, Fire, and other units.
• Maintain complete and accurate written/typed records of all calls for service and all pertinent radio transmissions.
• Operate teletype, computer, and recording equipment and perform minor daily maintenance of equipment.
• Maintain up-to-date operating manuals, procedure manuals, and training guides.
• Process requests for warrants and record checks on persons and property.
• Interpret information to be returned.
• Make computer entries.
• Participate in training programs and utilize acquired knowledge.
• May train other unit members.
• Perform other related work as required.
• High School Diploma or G.E.D.
• Two and one-half years of work experience with a public safety agency performing 911 dispatching functions utilizing a computer-aided dispatching system.
• Possession of a State of California P.O.S.T. Dispatching Certificate or must obtain certification within one year of hire. It is highly desired that candidates for this position already possess the California P.O.S.T. Dispatching Certification; as such, applications will be screened for the most qualified candidates who have this important training.
• Computer keyboarding at the rate of 35 net words per minute. (Final candidates may be tested).
• Pass a P.O.S.T. background investigation, which includes a polygraph examination, and extensive Department of Justice criminal record check and FBI clearance.
• Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
• Pass a post-offer psychological evaluation and medical examination, which includes a drug screen.
• Must be willing to work weekends, various shifts, and holidays.
• Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
• Prefer non-tobacco user.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Health Allowance and Flexible Benefits Plan
Depending upon the number of dependents the health allowance ranges from $811.46 to $2142.90 per month for 2019 core health benefits. Subject to specific rules, a cash back program is also available with proof of other medical coverage. City employees participate in the PERS Health Program, and may choose their medical coverage from a variety of providers. The City’s flexible benefits plan includes medical and dental coverage as core benefits. A range of optional benefits including vision care, medical and dependent care accounts are also available. A term life insurance policy equal to $100,000, long-term disability plan, and an employee assistance plan are currently provided at City expense.
The City currently offers the PERS 2.5% at 55 pension plan for “classic” members and 2% at 62 for “new” members. Currently, the city pays the full employer portion of the retirement contribution for “classic” members and 50% of the total normal cost for “new” members. The “classic” member contribution of 8% is a pre-tax payroll deduction; “new” members shall pay 50% of the total normal cost as set by CalPERS. Anyone hired on or after January 1, 2013 will be subject to the applicable provisions, retirement formulas, and plan benefits/restrictions associated with the Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013.
The initial hire uniform allowance is $250.00 and is paid in the first full month of employment. Thereafter, monthly uniform pay is $41.67 paid monthly with payroll. Public Safety Communicators assigned to swing shift receive 2.5% to 5% of base salary as Shift Differential Pay depending on actual hours assigned. Public Safety Communicators who are bilingual in Spanish/English and pass a certification exam can receive 5% of base salary as bilingual pay.
Vacation, Sick Leave, Personal Leave, Holidays
Annual vacation ranges from two to four weeks per year, based on years of service. Employees accrue eight hours of sick leave each month. Employees receive 20 hours of personal leave time in July of each fiscal year which must be used during the fiscal year. Public Safety Communicators receive 6% of base salary as holiday pay.
Employees participate in Medicare (1.45% for both the employer and employee) as this is a mandated federal program. City of Gilroy does not participate in Social Security.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior calendar month via direct deposit.
Representation: Persons appointed to this position on a full-time basis are covered by the AFSCME General Unit Memorandum of Understanding.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy employment application including complete supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This position is open until filled; applications will be reviewed periodically and interviews may be scheduled at any time.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.