POOL CASHIER/REGISTRATION ASSISTANT
$12.10 – $14.66 hourly
Must be available to work May 17th – August 4th
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Open Until Filled – Priority Screening in February
ABOUT THE POSITION:
City of Gilroy is recruiting for a seasonal Pool Cashier/Registration Assistant for the 2019 Summer Season. The main goal of the Recreation Department is to offer excellent recreation programs that provide community members with a wide-range of opportunities to celebrate life and community through people, parks, programs, and special events which are delivered by a team of employees dedicated to offering quality recreational, social, and cultural services to all Gilroy residents.
Under direct supervision of the Aquatics Coordinator, Pool Manager and/or Assistant Manager, performs basic cashiering duties and varied clerical work of average difficulty as needed to facilitate swim lesson participant registration and fee collection for recreational swimming program.
Examples of Duties / Knowledge & Skills
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Registration of swim lesson participants and organization of class enrollment figures.
- Perform general cashier and clerical functions, collect fees and registration.
- Light bookkeeping and clerical tasks, including balancing cash box daily.
- Maintenance of files and records.
- Compiles necessary reports.
- Answers phone.
- Provides information and referrals, publicity.
- Work directly with the public at all times.
- Issue swim passes.
- Requisition supplies as needed.
- Assist in first aid and emergency procedures as needed.
- Check and secure valuables to be put in bags.
- Check patrons for appropriate bathing attire and swim caps.
- Perform related duties as assigned or required.
Minimum qualifications & Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in clerical office work.
- Extensive public contact/service experience preferred.
- Basic bookkeeping skills preferred.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License along with a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Valid tuberculosis (TB) Certificate.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Pass a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
CITY OF GILROY SUMMER 2019 AQUATICS HIRING/TRAINING AND WORK SCHEDULE:
- February – April: Interviews & Swim Skills testing as needed (dates to be determined)
- April 1 to April 22: Pre-employment fingerprinting & drug screen appointments*
- May 6, 7 & 8 (3:45 p.m.): Mandatory HR Orientation (candidates must attend one of these dates)
- May 17 to May 19: Mandatory training
- May 17 to August 4: Regular Season
- June 10 to June 14 (all day): Mandatory In-Service training for all summer staff
*Subject to change as needed by the City.
All applicants must be able to attend all mandatory trainings.
Employees will be required to purchase shorts and swim suit for this position that will meet the Aquatics dress code requirements. (See Uniform Dress Code)
Vacations: Due to the nature and short duration of the summer programs, vacation schedules may not be accommodated. A maximum of 7 days of time-off during the entire Summer Swim Regular Season will be considered, according to the feasibility of the schedule and at the discretion of the supervisor. If you request more than 7 days, we will choose 7 days from your request to allocate as time off. All applicants must list planned vacations in the supplemental questionnaire that is part of the on-line employment application. All requests must be submitted on this form to be considered. You may have additional time off during the summer, but you are responsible for getting those shifts covered by other staff (getting a shift covered by another staff member does NOT count toward your 7 days off). Hiring preference will be given to those applicants that have more availability during the summer programs.
The Ideal Candidate will:
- Have the ability to perform simple cash transactions and count back the correct change to customers.
- Have computer skills and basic skills using Microsoft Office products.
- Be able to operate a wide variety of office machines including a telephone, calculator, copier, computer, printer and fax machine. May be necessary to operate two-way radio.
- Possess interpersonal and communication skills.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service techniques
- Possess excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Have an American Red Cross Lifeguard/First Aid/CPR/AED certification (qualified to be a Lifeguard I/Assistant Instructor)
Part-time employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Part-time employees are enrolled in the PARS retirement system with the City making an employer contribution and the employee contribution (6.2%) being deducted from your payroll check. The PARS retirement system is in lieu of participating in social security. You will, however, participate in the Medicare portion of social security as that is a required program.
Part-Time employees must have availability to work the designated work schedule for the position and must be available to work additional or less hours as needed. The maximum work hours are 25 hours per week and may not exceed 108 hours per month.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior calendar month via direct deposit.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, the following must be submitted in order for you to be considered:
- City of Gilroy employment application which includes specific supplemental questions.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This position is open until filled. To be considered please submit all application materials. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process.
NOTE: If you are also interested in the Pool Manager, Assistant Pool Manager, Head Lifeguard, Lifeguard II/Instructor, or Lifeguard I/Assistant Instructor you will need to apply for each position separately.
In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, TB/PPD Testing, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include your e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.