PUBLIC SAFETY COMMUNICATOR TRAINEE
$5,450.08 - $6,806.42 Monthly and Excellent Benefits
5% Bilingual Pay (English/Spanish)
6% Holiday pay
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 5:00p.m.
Please obtain test scores prior to applying.
Applications without test scores will be marked as incomplete.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for the position Public Safety Communicator Trainee in the Police Department. The Public Safety Communicator Trainee position is a full-time, at-will position trained to become a Public Safety Communicator for the Gilroy Police Department. The general goal of the Communications Unit is to provide 24 hour emergency communication response for all police, fire, and medical emergency calls for service in a courteous and professional manner.
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Supervisor and under the functional supervision of the Watch Commander, answer emergency and routine calls from the public for Police, Fire, and medical assistance and general service and dispatch necessary personnel and equipment, perform other related duties as required. Work shifts include weekends, holidays, nights and evening hours.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have excellent interpersonal and professional customer service skills.
- Have superb listening skills and the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Be adaptable to changing situations; work well under pressure, and be comfortable making quick or critical decisions.
- Multi-task proficiently within a short period of time.
- Be proficient with computers and with the use of software and technology.
- Have participated in "sit-alongs" with a Communications or Dispatch department.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Receive telephone complaints concerning crimes, fires, medical emergencies, public work calls, and other requests.
- Promptly and courteously obtain pertinent information regarding calls for service utilizing proper radio/telephone etiquette.
- Determine the priority and promptly dispatch appropriate Police, Fire and other units.
- Maintain complete and accurate written/typed records of all calls for service and all pertinent radio transmissions.
- Operate teletype, computer and recording equipment and perform minor daily maintenance of equipment.
- Maintain up-to-date operating manuals, procedure manuals and training guides.
- Process requests for warrants and record checks on persons and property. Interpret information to be returned.
- Make computer entries.
- Participate in training programs and utilizes acquired knowledge.
- Perform other related work as required.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Prior 911 dispatching experience is not required. Any prior work experience or volunteer experience with a public safety agency is helpful.
- Successful completion of the City of Gilroy Public Safety Communicator training program in six to twelve months from date of hire.
- Must obtain a State of California POST Dispatching Certificate within one year from date of hire.
- Computer keyboarding at the minimum rate of 35 net words per minute. (Final candidates may be tested.)
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a POST background investigation, which includes a polygraph examination, an extensive Department of Justice criminal record check, and an FBI clearance.
- Pass a post-offer psychological evaluation and medical examination, which includes a drug screen.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Must be willing to work weekends, various shifts, and holidays.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Health Allowance and Flexible Benefits Plan
Depending upon the number of dependents the health allowance ranges from $811.46 to $2142.90 per month for 2019 core health benefits. Subject to specific rules, a cash back program is also available with proof of other medical coverage. City employees participate in the PERS Health Program, and may choose their medical coverage from a variety of providers. The City’s flexible benefits plan includes medical and dental coverage as core benefits. A range of optional benefits including vision care, medical and dependent care accounts are also available. A term life insurance policy equal to $100,000, long-term disability plan, and an employee assistance plan are currently provided at City expense.
The City currently offers the PERS 2.5% at 55 pension plan for “classic” members and 2% at 62 for “new” members. Currently, the city pays the full employer portion of the retirement contribution for “classic” members and 50% of the total normal cost for “new” members. The “classic” member contribution of 8% is a pre-tax payroll deduction; “new” members shall pay 50% of the total normal cost as set by CalPERS. Anyone hired on or after January 1, 2013 will be subject to the applicable provisions, retirement formulas, and plan benefits/restrictions associated with the Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013.
The initial hire uniform allowance is $250.00 and is paid in the first full month of employment. Thereafter, monthly uniform pay is $41.67 paid monthly with payroll. Public Safety Communicators assigned to swing shift receive 2.5% to 5% of base salary as Shift Differential Pay depending on actual hours assigned. Public Safety Communicators who are bilingual in Spanish/English and pass a certification exam can receive 5% of base salary as bilingual pay.
Vacation, Sick Leave, Personal Leave, Holidays
Annual vacation ranges from two to four weeks per year, based on years of service. Employees accrue eight hours of sick leave each month. Employees receive 20 hours of personal leave time in July of each fiscal year which must be used during the fiscal year. Public Safety Communicators receive 6% of base salary as Holiday Pay in lieu of holidays off.
Employees participate in Medicare (1.45% for both the employer and employee) as this is a mandated federal program. City of Gilroy does not participate in Social Security.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior calendar month via direct deposit.
Representation: Persons appointed to this position on a full-time basis are covered by the AFSCME General Unit Memorandum of Understanding.
P.O.S.T. DISPATCHER AND CRITICALL TEST INFORMATION
Please visit https://theacademy.ca.gov/dispatch for general information. Test results or certificates are accepted from any California POST location, however, testing information is provided below for San Jose only. If you would like to check other locations or see "Frequently Asked Questions", visit https://post.ca.gov/Public-Safety-Dispatcher-Entry-Level-Test-Battery-Applicant-FAQs.
Both required tests are available at the Academy (San Jose).Tests may be taken on the same dates or on separate dates. Test should be taken no later than June 14, 2019 in order to meet the application filing deadline.
POST Dispatcher and /or CritiCall Test Dates
May 29, 2019
June 10, 2019
See below for important information about each test.
POST Dispatcher Testing
POST Dispatcher Test dates, locations, and registration is available at http://sbrpstc-dispatch-tests.eventbrite.com/. It takes up to 10 business days to receive results. Therefore, the POST Dispatcher test should be taken by June 14, 2019, in order to have results to apply by the submission deadline. T-Score results of 48 or higher is passing; results below 48 do not qualify. This test is approximately 2.5 hours. The cost for the POST Dispatcher exam will be $20 due at the time of registration. Candidates who are hired for this position can submit testing receipts for reimbursement after their date of hire.
CritiCall Pre-Employment Testing
CritiCall test dates, locations, and registration are available at https://www.eventbrite.com/o/criticall-exams-12070276604. Results are available immediately at the completion of the test. CritiCall results of 73 or higher is passing; results below 73 do not qualify. This test is approximately 1.5 hours. The cost for the CritiCall exam will be $75 due at the time of registration. Candidates who are hired for this position can submit testing receipts for reimbursement after their date of hire.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy employment application including complete supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
- A P.O.S.T Entry Level Dispatcher Test T-Score of 48 or higher, dated within one year.
- A CritiCall Pre-Employment Test score result of 73 percent or higher, dated within one year.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: Tuesday, June 25, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Interview: Wednesday, July 10, 2019
Finalist Interviews: To be determined
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a detailed P.O.S.T. background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, P.O.S.T. medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.