Gilroy Youth Center
Recreation Leader I - $12.00 - $12.50 hourly (20-25 hours per week), no benefits
Academic Year (Mid August – Mid June):
Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday 2:45 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
Wednesday 12:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Summer (End of June – Beginning of August)
Monday - Thursday 12:00 p.m. - 6:00 p.m.
This position is year-round with additional hours in the summer months as required.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
First review of applications Friday, July 5, 2019
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, there are two (2) required items that must be submitted with your application in order for you to be considered:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application form with supplemental responses.
ABOUT THE POSITION
City of Gilroy is recruiting for one (1) Recreation Leader I position. This position will support various youth and adult recreation programs. The goal of the Recreation Department is to provide a fun and active Youth Center for the young people of Gilroy in a healthy, safe environment that promotes good citizenship, character building activities, physical activities and educational opportunities.
Recreation Leader I - Under direct supervision of a Recreation Coordinator and indirect supervision of a Recreation Supervisor or Lead Recreation Leader, assist in directing the physical, recreational, and social activities of assigned recreation programs. Program areas include, but are not limited to, adult sports, youth sports, adult special classes, youth special classes, pre-school, therapeutics, recreation facilities, special events, seniors, museum, cultural arts, summer camps, and aquatics. This position may be a year round part-time position or seasonal position, depending on the recreation program.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
Recreation Leader I
- Observe program areas to insure cleanliness and safe, proper use of facilities and equipment.
- Participate in related training programs and staff meetings.
- Assist in organizing a wide variety of programs and activities to meet the recreational, educational, physical and social needs in the community.
- Perform a variety of clerical and administrative support functions for assigned program area as needed.
- Assist in leading a variety of recreation activities for multiple age groups
- Issue and collect equipment.
- Provide elementary instruction in arts and crafts, such as finger painting and paperwork.
- Render first aid in the event of injury.
- Keep activity and attendance records.
- May keep score at athletic events.
- Prepare field for various organized games.
- Perform related work as required.
REQUIREMENTS, TRAINING EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Recreation Leader I
- Completion of Grade 10 or Sophomore year in High School.
- Any related experience helpful. A typical way to acquire experience is to have actively participated in sports programs, leadership, music, arts and/or music classes, or similar activities outside a school setting and have some experience in supervising children, communicating with parents and the general public.
- May be required to possess and maintain a valid California Driver License along with a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s)
- Valid tuberculosis (TB) Certificate.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Pass a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
The Ideal Candidate will:
- have excellent customer service skills
- have the ability to solve problems and conflicts
- have good communication skills (be able to communicate with parents)
- be a team player with the ability to positively interface with other departments
- have experience working with youth from different ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds
- have the ability to work the hours required for the position(s)
Part-time employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Part-time employees are enrolled in the PARS retirement system with the City making an employer contribution and the employee contribution (6.2%) being deducted from your payroll check. The PARS retirement system is in lieu of participating in social security. You will, however, participate in the Medicare portion of social security as that is a required program.
Part-Time employees must have availability to work the designated work schedule for the position and must be available to work additional or less hours as needed. The maximum work hours are 25 hours per week and may not exceed 108 hours per month.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior calendar month via direct deposit.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This recruitment is open until filled with the first review of applications scheduled for Friday, July 5, 2019. Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.