Communications Assistant (Part Time)
$21.86 - $27.06 hourly without benefits
(20-25 hours per week)
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Monday, August 19, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is currently recruiting for a part-time Communications Assistant for the City’s Communication and Engagement program with the Administration Department. The main goal of Communication and Engagement program is to provide timely and accurate information to the media and public regarding routine city operations, special events and emergency operations and maintain robust communication strategies to convey information to the widest possible audience.
The part-time Communication Assistant provides support in the City’s Communication and Engagement program under the direct supervision of the Communication and Engagement Manager. The Communications Assistant will work in the areas of written communication, print and digital media communication, marketing, community engagement, photography and videography, and customer service. If bilingual, the Communications Assistant may assist with verbal and written translation of communications materials. Evening and weekend hours required. The Communications Assistant is a part-time, at-will position.
The “ideal candidate” for this position will:
- Possess strong writing skills.
- Possess experience in print and digital media communications.
- Possess experience in marketing or community engagement.
- Possess photography and videography skills.
- Work flexible hours including evening and weekend hours.
- Speak and write in both English and Spanish.
1st YEAR KEY ASSIGNMENTS:
- Recording of public meetings.
- Photographing events and creating videos for the City.
- Assist with the preparation of City newsletter and social media postings.
- Providing City Hall tours.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Assist with preparation and writing of newsletters, social media posts, and updates to the City’s website, calendar, community engagement platform, and channel 17.
- Assist with creation of new video and photography content.
- Records evening meetings such as City Council and Planning Commission meetings.
- Provide informational tours of City Hall to various groups.
- Provide public information support, and/or other required support, to the City’s Emergency Operations Center.
- Provide front counter support as needed, to include answering phones and providing customer service at the front counter.
- Attend and participates in training programs related to work.
- Assist with special communication and engagement projects as needed.
- Perform related work as assigned.
- Completion of sixty semester units of college-level course work that has included course work in communications, public relations, marketing, television production, digital media or related field of study.
- Two years of work experience in a communications environment similar to that found at the City of Gilroy.
- Additional related work experience may, at the sole discretion of the City of Gilroy, be substituted for the required education with two years of directly related full-time work experience being equivalent to sixty semester units of college-level course work.
- Must be available for some evening and occasional weekend work.
- Experience with digital media and desktop publishing software is highly desired.
- Prefer employee who lives locally as this facilitates occasional trips to City Hall to televise evening meetings and participate with Emergency Operations Center if required.
- Possession of a valid California Class C driver’s license and a safe driving record.
- Prefer non-tobacco user
- Bilingual skills (English/Spanish) desired, but not required.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS, AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Part-time employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Part-time employees are enrolled in the PARS retirement system with the City making an employer contribution and the employee contribution (6.2%) being deducted from your payroll check. The PARS retirement system is in lieu of participating in social security. You will, however, participate in the Medicare portion of social security as that is a required program.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior month via direct deposit.
Part-Time employees must have availability to work the designated work schedule for the position and must be available to work additional or less hours as needed. The maximum work hours are 25 hours per week and may not exceed 108 hours per month.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
- A cover letter that explains your specific interest in the position.
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: Monday, August 19, 2019
Interview and Practical Exercise: Friday, September 6, 2019
Finalist Interviews: Wednesday, September 11, 2019
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.