EARLY CHILDHOOD RECREATION (ECR)
ASSISTANT INSTRUCTOR – PART TIME
$13.50 – $15.76 hourly without benefits
Tuesday/Thursday 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Wednesday/Thursday 12:30 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
Priority Screening: Friday, October 18, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
ABOUT THE POSITION
City of Gilroy is recruiting for a part-time Early Childhood Recreation (ECR) Assistant Instructor. The goal of the Recreation Department is to provide early childhood recreational opportunities to foster social development, healthy lifestyles, build confidence and instill problem solving, listening and communications skills in participating children in a safe, stimulating and nurturing environment. This recruitment list may be used to hire substitutes and on-call Assistant Instructors in addition to the vacant position noted above.
Under direct supervision of an Early Childhood Recreation Instructor and indirect supervision of a Recreation Supervisor and/or a Recreation Coordinator, assist in teaching a developmental program for preschool children 30 months to 6 years of age. This position provides supervision of appropriate activities and events during program hours. This position may be a year round part-time, seasonal, or a substitute position.
The “Ideal Candidate” will have one (1) year experience working with preschool-aged children and 6 units of Early Childhood classes. In addition, the ideal candidate will have experience assisting with the supervision of and assisting an instructor with classroom responsibilities, excellent customer service skills, good working relationships with fellow employees, ability to solve problems and conflicts, communicate with parents, and available to work both morning and afternoon program hours.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Observes program areas to ensure cleanliness and safe, proper use of facilities and equipment.
- Supervises children in the classroom and on the playground.
- Assists in instructing curriculum for classroom activities (music and movement, arts and crafts, early math, science, language and reading skills, gross and fine motor skills development, size, color, and shape discrimination, etc.).
- Instructs classroom activities in the absence of the Early Childhood Recreation Instructor.
- Prepares the physical environment and materials for daily activities.
- Provides ordered arrangement, appearance and décor of the learning environment.
- Assists in ordering and maintaining supplies and maintaining equipment inventory.
- Researches new concepts, ideas, and resources for inclusion in the curriculum.
- Shares ideas, materials, time and resources with other members of the staff with a commitment to the concept of team spirit.
- Responsible for parent contacts, informs parents of philosophy and program curriculum and child’s development.
- Participate in related training programs and staff meetings.
- Perform a variety of clerical and administrative support functions for assigned program area as needed.
- Assist in training other recreation personnel.
- Render first aid in the event of injury.
- Keep activity and attendance records.
- Open and close buildings and maintain in clean and orderly manner.
- Perform related work as required.
REQUIREMENTS, TRAINING EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- One (1) year of work experience in supervising children, communicating with parents and the general public, preferably in a preschool setting.
- Six (6) Early Childhood Education (ECE) units preferred, but not required.
- Adult and Infant Red Cross First Aid and CPR/AED certificates preferred at time of application and must possess within six (6) months of hire date.
- Valid tuberculosis (TB) Certificate.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License along with a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Pass an employment background check including a Department of Justice criminal record check.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Part-time employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Part-time employees are enrolled in the PARS retirement system with the City making an employer contribution and the employee contribution (6.2%) being deducted from your payroll check. The PARS retirement system is in lieu of participating in social security. You will, however, participate in the Medicare portion of social security as that is a required program.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior month via direct deposit. Part-time employees reports hours worked from 21st of the month to the 20th of the next month.
Part-Time employees must have availability to work the designated work schedule for the position and must be available to work additional or less hours as needed. The maximum work hours are 25 hours per week and may not exceed 108 hours per month.
All recreation employees will attend a once-a-year, week-long training session which usually occurs during the second week of June.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, there is one (1) required item that must be submitted with your application in order for you to be considered:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental question responses.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Priority Screening Date: Friday, October 18, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.
Oral Board Interviews: TBD
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.