(2 Positions) Community Development Department
Up to 25 hours weekly including daytime, evening, and weekend work hours
$35.21 - $44.27 Hourly; Non-Benefited Position
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Friday, December 13, 2019
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is currently recruiting for two part-time Code Enforcement Officers. The goal for the Community Development Department is to provide current and long term community planning services in conformance with the Gilroy General Plan and consistent with city council direction to enhance the design and livability of residential neighborhoods, commercial areas and industrial zones within the city's urban sphere and promote sustainable development.
The work schedule will vary weekly and include daytime, evening, and Saturdays and Sundays as needed. The work schedule is based on the needs of the department and any code enforcement actions to be undertaken.
Under direct supervision of the Deputy Director of Community Development, perform work of moderate difficulty involving inspection and enforcement of applicable ordinances pertaining to housing, building construction, and related code enforcement regulations.
The "ideal candidate" for this position will:
- Have prior code enforcement experience in a fast-paced and demanding customer service environment, with the keen ability to explain codes, ordinances, violations, and resolutions "on the spot."
- Have the ability to balance enforcement responsibilities with fostering and maintaining public support.
- Apply consistency in implementing regulations and policies in a constructive and calm manner, to achieve compliance with guidelines that may be perceived as provocative.
- Have excellent verbal and written communication skills in delivering high customer service, as well as meticulous documentation skills for code enforcement activities.
- Be comfortable working and dealing with the general public, with the ability to effectively handle a variety of delicate situations as they arise.
- Be flexible with work schedule, including evenings and weekend hours.
- Possess good time management skills and be self-motivated. A significant amount of time will be spent in the field. A high level of comfort working independently while ensuring timely completion of assignments is necessary.
- Bilingual Spanish is preferred, but not required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Perform inspections of a complex nature and complaint investigations involving commercial and industrial inspections, rehabilitation housing inspection specializing in existing housing, single and multiple dwellings, and other related facilities.
- Participate in the complex investigation and enforcement of municipal codes and other applicable state and federal rules and regulations as assigned.
- Ascertain and gather facts related to applicable ordinances, codes, laws, development policies, rules and regulations and determine and institute proper action to be taken.
- Explain, interpret and make presentations of ordinances, codes, laws, rules and regulations to citizens and groups, agencies businesses, and other entities.
- Issue citations on code misdemeanors. Research and prepare cases for prosecution and testify in court.
- Communicate and coordinate actions with other involved city departments.
- May inspect residential, commercial and industrial buildings in various stages of progress against plans or specifications to ascertain code and/or zoning ordinance conformance.
- Prepare and compile reports.
- Maintain required certification and training levels necessary to stay current in all requirements of the job.
- Maintain an accurate activity log.
- Conduct various surveys to determine a variety of code enforcement data and related information.
- Perform other duties as required.
COMPENSATION, BENEFITS, AND ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
Part-time employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Part-time employees are enrolled in the PARS retirement system with the City making an employer contribution and the employee contribution (6.2%) being deducted from your payroll check. The PARS retirement system is in lieu of participating in social security. You will, however, participate in the Medicare portion of social security, as that is a required program.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the last business day of each month via direct deposit.
Part-Time employees must have availability to work the designated work schedule for the position and must be available to work additional or less hours as needed. The maximum work hours are 25 hours per week and may not exceed 108 hours per month.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
• A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental question responses.
• A cover letter that explains your specific interest in this position with the City of Gilroy.
• A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the ‘Apply’ tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and can be used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date: Friday, December 13, 2019
Interview and Practical Exercise: Thursday, January 9, 2020
Finalist Interviews: Thursday, January 16, 2020
(*Note: The examination process may be changed as needed by the City.)
Please note only complete application packets will be reviewed. All applications will be competitively screened based on the minimum qualifications for this position. Based upon review, only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City’s expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.