$4,248.58 - $5,305.83 Monthly Salary, Plus Excellent Benefits
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for the position of Police Records Technician I. The general goal of the Records Division is to provide timely and courteous customer service and support to the citizens of Gilroy, members of the police department, affiliated criminal justice agencies including inquiries at the public counter, over the phone, and through the mail, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week in accordance with local, state and federal laws and regulations.
Under the direct supervision of the Crime Analysis/Records/Property & Evidence Manager, and under the functional supervision of the Police Captain, perform a variety of clerical duties, in support of police activities, some requiring speed and accuracy.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Possess a strong customer service orientation and sincere desire to assist both internal and external customers.
- Be flexible and adaptable to changing priorities and interruptions throughout the work day.
- Be proficient with software and technology and with using a computer.
- Be highly organized with the ability to complete multiple tasks and projects simultaneously while maintaining attention to detail.
- Is discreet; able to maintain confidential records and sensitive information.
- Have participated in "sit-alongs" with a Police Records unit.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Answer telephone and respond to citizens at counter, providing help as needed.
- Work an assigned shift with varied days and/or hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Type correspondence, memos, forms and stencils as needed.
- Process warrants, data entry, typing warrant jackets, assigning to appropriate agency.
- Learn to operate Criminal Justice Information Center (CJIC), Criminal Law Enforcement Teletype System (CLETS), Records Management System (RMS) computer terminals, adding and removing reports and information as requested.
- Record, calculate statistics on departmental activities and prepare monthly statistics for the State.
- Accept and process bail for warrants, set court dates, process paperwork according to procedure
- File case files, warrants, and other related forms and materials and retrieve from files as needed.
- Type and maintain records in State and National property system, missing persons system and gun system.
- Take citizen complaints and refer them to the appropriate agency or individual.
- Assist in transporting persons of the same sex prisoners in custody as needed.
- May assist in the booking process of same sex prisoners.
- Process and maintain files on Domestic Violence Restraining Orders, orders After Hearings and Emergency TRO's.
- Learn the subpoena process and process court orders for court appearances by officers and /or citizens, including the preparing, service and follow-up of cases.
- Learn the booking process for self-surrenders to include the booking sheet, arrest card, fingerprinting and release information.
- If bilingual, assist in translating for citizens as needed.
- Transcribe crime reports and provide copies as required.
- May be subject to recall.
- May perform related work as required.
Any combination of education and experience equivalent to high school graduation or GED and two years clerical work which included working in a demanding environment with a high volume of public contact.
Transcription of documents using a word processor is desired, but the City will train on the use of this equipment as needed.
Keyboarding skills at a rate of 45 net words per minute. (Final Candidates may be tested).
Pass a post-offer psychological evaluation and medical examination, which includes a drug test.
Pass a POST background investigation, which includes a polygraph examination, and extensive Department of Justice criminal record check and an FBI clearance.
Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s) if the nature and duties of the job necessitate driving.
Prefer non-tobacco user.
Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Health Allowance and Flexible Benefits Plan
Depending upon the number of dependents the health allowance ranges from $852.03 to $2,250.05 per month for 2020 core health benefits. Subject to specific rules, a cash back program is also available with proof of other medical coverage. City employees participate in the PERS Health Program, and may choose their medical coverage from a variety of providers. The City’s flexible benefits plan includes medical and dental coverage as core benefits. A range of optional benefits including vision care, medical and dependent care accounts are also available. A term life insurance policy equal to $100,000, long-term disability plan, and an employee assistance plan are currently provided at City expense.
The City currently offers the PERS 2.5% at 55 pension plan for “classic” members and 2% at 62 for “new” members. Currently, the city pays the full employer portion of the retirement contribution for “classic” members and 50% of the total normal cost for “new” members. The “classic” member contribution of 8% is a pre-tax payroll deduction; “new” members shall pay 50% of the total normal cost as set by CalPERS. Anyone hired on or after January 1, 2013 will be subject to the applicable provisions, retirement formulas, and plan benefits/restrictions associated with the Public Employees’ Pension Reform Act of 2013.
Vacation, Sick Leave, Holiday Pay, Shift Differential, Bilingual Pay, Uniform Allowance
Annual vacation ranges from two to four weeks per year, based on years of city of Gilroy service. Employees accrue eight hours of sick leave each month. Employees receive 20 hours of personal leave time in July of each fiscal year which must be used during the fiscal year (pro-rated based on hire date). Police Records Technicians receive 6% of base salary as holiday pay in lieu of holidays off. Records Technicians may be eligible for shift differential pay depending upon assigned work hours. Police Records Technicians that are bilingual in Spanish/English may receive 5% bilingual pay following testing. Police Records Technicians are required to wear uniforms and receive $41.67 monthly uniform allowance for the purchase of uniforms. Newly hired employees receive an initial uniform allowance of $250.00 for the initial purchase of uniforms.
Employees participate in Medicare (1.45% for both the employer and employee) as this is a mandated federal program. City of Gilroy does not participate in Social Security.
All City employees are paid monthly, on the first business day of each month for the prior calendar month via direct deposit.
Representation: Persons appointed to this position on a full-time basis are covered by the AFSCME Memorandum of Understanding.
TYPING CERTIFICATE INFORMATION
Typing certificates must be dated within 6 months of your application and show a minimum net typing speed of 45 WPM. Online typing certificates are not accepted. The City of Gilroy has pre-screened the typing test providers listed below. If you have a certificate from another provider, it must meet our criteria as listed in this link:
However, the City reserves the right to reject a certificate if not obtained from a provided below. A picture ID is required for testing. Please call test providers to verify forms of payment and cost of testing. Testing costs are at the expense of the applicant.
8687 San Ysidro Gilroy, CA 95020
1111 San Felipe Road, Suite 201 Hollister, CA 95023
622 Northridge Mall Salinas, CA 93906
4677 Old Ironsides Dr., Suite 100 Santa Clara, CA 95054
Express Employment Professionals
1798 Technology Drive #139 San Jose, CA 95110
Certified Employment Group
2105 South Bascom Ave., Ste. 376 Campbell, CA 95008
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
Application Closing Date:
Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Oral Board Interviews:
Thursday, April 2, 2020
To be determined
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.