Public Works Department - Operations
$13.13 - $17.07 per hour (for students in a Bachelor's Program)
$17.73 - $19.69 per hour (for students in a Master's Program)
The City of Gilroy is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.
ABOUT THE POSITION
City of Gilroy Public Works Department is currently recruiting for a college intern to work in the Operations Unit. This is a hands-on position responsible for updating City of Gilroy's Computerized Maintenance Management System (CMMS) which is based on Geographic Information Systems (GIS) data and is used for storing asset information regarding the City's water, wastewater, storm drain, street, sidewalk, park, landscape, urban forest and related infrastructure.
The Public Works GIS/CMMS College intern will have the opportunity to identify inconsistencies with GIS data by conducting field inspections of civil infrastructure and performing internal and external research. The Public Works GIS/CMMS College intern will resolve discrepancies by comparing physical field data and reconciling it with GIS/CMMS data.
This position is ideal for college candidates who are pursuing degrees involving Business Management Information Systems, GIS, Civil Engineering, or Geography.
Internships can start as early as May 1, 2020 and end as late as September 30, 2020. There is a possibility for the internship to be continued through June 30, 2021 (on a reduced schedule as described below.)
Interns may work full time (40 hours per week) up to 11 weeks during summer or when school is not in session. Interns may work part-time (up to 25 hours per week) year round if working more than 11 weeks or when school is in session.
The official start and end date of the internship will be determined at the time of hire. Work hours are generally Monday – Friday between 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Interns may be assigned to attend some evening and weekend events, and off-site meetings.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The Operations team is a group of hard-working individuals who are dedicated to making Gilroy a well maintained, safe, attractive, and well-run community. Our employees fully support a culture of safety, learning, bonding, and teamwork.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE:
- Will be in their sophomore year of college or higher (typically has completed 30 or more semester units.)
- Have very strong computer skills with proficiency with Microsoft Office including Word, Outlook, and Excel.
- Have experience with records and data management, and with database software.
- Have an interest in analyzing and improving work flows and in understanding how data and information can be organized and used to in order to improve operational efficiency.
- Any experience with AutoCAD or GIS-based software is helpful.
- A GPA of 3.0 is preferred but is not required.
- Have excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Be able to multi-task, and take direction and initiative with assigned projects.
- Be a quick learner who is organized to successfully perform assignments.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Implementation of CMMS work order management, and assistance with work orders
- Ensuring quality of GIS data
- Records management; review of existing files and data, filing
- Conducting field visits
- CMMS data management
- Data reconciliation
- 1. College majors in Business Management Information Systems, Civil Engineering, Geography, or a related area of study may apply for this internship and should be one of the following:
- A current college student in a Bachelor's or Master's program.
- A current college student entering a graduate program.
- A college graduate who obtained a Bachelor's degree within the last year.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a background check, including a Department of Justice criminal record check for employment.
- Pass a post-offer drug test.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
April 17, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
Oral Board Interviews
To be determined.
The examination process/schedule above may be changed as needed by the City.
Candidates will receive communication by email regarding the recruitment process which includes, but is not limited to, application status, test dates and interview scheduling.
Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
Submit a complete online application with the following required items:
- Responses to supplemental questions
- Cover Letter
- College transcripts
Applications that do not include all required items are incomplete and will not be considered.
Prior to appointment and given at the City's expense, final candidates are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, and applicable medical evaluation and drug screen.
If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact Human Resources. Human Resources can be reached at: (408)-846-0228