ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for the full-time position Public Safety Communicator in the Police Department. This is a lateral position requiring two and one-half years of public safety dispatching work experience. The general goal of the Communications Unit is to provide 24 hour emergency communication response for all police, fire, and medical emergency calls for service in a courteous and professional manner.
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Supervisor and under the functional supervision of the Watch Commander, answer emergency and routine calls from the public for Police, Fire, and medical assistance and general service and dispatch necessary personnel and equipment, perform other related duties as required. Work shifts including weekends, holidays, nights and evening hours.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have strong prior experience serving as a 911 dispatcher for a busy community.
- Have experience dispatching both police and fire personnel to calls for service.
- Have a heart for public service with the ability to use compassion and empathy with callers when appropriate and needed.
- Have experience handling complex and challenging calls for service.
- Be skilled in handling difficult calls in a calm and professional manner.
- Have excellent interpersonal and professional customer service skills.
- Have superb listening skills and the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Be adaptable to changing situations; work well under pressure, and be comfortable making quick or critical decisions.
- Possess strong multi-tasking skills.
- Be proficient with computers and with the use of software and technology, including systems specific to public safety services.
- Have participated in "sit-alongs" with the City of Gilroy Police Department Communications Unit.
- Have a willingness to learn and improve on skills and be receptive of constructive feedback.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES
- Receive telephone complaints concerning crimes, fires, medical emergencies, public works calls, and other requests.
- Promptly and courteously obtain pertinent information regarding the calls for service utilizing proper radio/telephone etiquette.
- Determine the priority and promptly dispatch appropriate Police, Fire, and other units.
- Maintain complete and accurate written/typed records of all calls for service and all pertinent radio transmissions.
- Operate teletype, computer, and recording equipment and perform minor daily maintenance of equipment.
- Maintain up-to-date operating manuals, procedure manuals, and training guides.
- Process requests for warrants and record checks on persons and property.
- Interpret information to be returned.
- Make computer entries.
- Participate in training programs and utilize acquired knowledge.
- May train other unit members.
- Perform other related work as required.
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent (ie. GED).
- Two and one-half years of work experience with a public safety agency performing 911 dispatching functions utilizing a computer-aided dispatching system.
- Successful completion of the City of Gilroy's Public Safety Communicator training program while hired as a Public Safety Communicator Trainee can substitute for up to two years of the required experience noted above in #2.
- Possession of a State of California P.O.S.T. Dispatching Certificate or must obtain certification within one year of hire.
- Computer keyboarding at the rate of 35 net words per minute.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a post-offer psychological evaluation and a medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Pass a P.O.S.T. background investigation, which includes a polygraph examination, an extensive Department of Justice criminal record check, and an FBI clearance.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Must be willing to work weekends, various shifts, and holidays.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy employment application including complete supplemental question responses
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This position is open until filled; applications will be reviewed periodically and interviews may be scheduled at any time.
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a detailed P.O.S.T. background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, P.O.S.T. medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.