ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for the position Public Safety Communicator Trainee in the Police Department. The Public Safety Communicator Trainee position is a full-time, at-will position trained to become a Public Safety Communicator for the Gilroy Police Department. The general goal of the Communications Unit is to provide 24 hour emergency communication response for all police, fire, and medical emergency calls for service in a courteous and professional manner.
Under the direct supervision of the Communications Supervisor and under the functional supervision of the Watch Commander, answer emergency and routine calls from the public for Police, Fire, and medical assistance and general service and dispatch necessary personnel and equipment, perform other related duties as required. Work shifts including weekends, holidays, nights and evening hours.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL:
- Have excellent interpersonal and professional customer service skills.
- Have superb listening skills and the ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
- Be adaptable to changing situations; work well under pressure, and be comfortable making quick or critical decisions.
- Multi-task proficiently within a short period of time.
- Be proficient with computers and with the use of software and technology.
- Be able to successfully complete the Public Safety Communicator Trainee training program in a 6-12 month time period.
- Be able to study and memorize codes, personnel, and geographic of the community to effectively dispatch accurate information to those working in the field.
- Have participated in "sit-alongs" with a Communications or Dispatch department, preferably with the City of Gilroy Police Department.
- Have a willingness to learn and improve on service skills and be receptive of constructive feedback.
EXAMPLE OF DUTIES
- Receive telephone complaints concerning crimes, fires, medical emergencies, public works calls, and other requests.
- Promptly and courteously obtain pertinent information regarding the calls for service utilizing proper radio/telephone etiquette.
- Determine the priority and promptly dispatches appropriate Police, Fire and other units.
- Maintain complete and accurate written/typed records of all calls for service and all pertinent radio transmissions.
- Operate teletype, computer and recording equipment and performs minor daily maintenance of equipment.
- Maintain up-to-date operating manuals, procedure manuals and training guides.
- Process requests for warrants and record checks on persons and property.Interpret information to be returned.
- Make computer entries.
- Participate in training programs and utilizes acquired knowledge.
- Perform other related work as required.
- Graduation from high school or the equivalent (ie. GED).
- Prior 911 dispatching experience is not required.Any prior work experience or volunteer experience with a public safety agency is helpful.
- Must successfully complete the City of Gilroy Public Safety Communicator training program in six to twelve months from date of hire.
- Must obtain a State of California POST Dispatching Certificate within one year from date of hire.
- Computer keyboarding at the rate of 35 net words per minute.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Pass a post-offer psychological Evaluation and a medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Pass a POST background investigation, which includes a polygraph examination, an extensive Department of Justice criminal record check, and an FBI clearance.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Must be willing to work weekends, various shifts, and holidays.
P.O.S.T. DISPATCHER TEST BATTERY AND CRITICALL INFORMATION
Attach copies of passing results (dated within 1 year) with your application for:
(a) P.O.S.T (entry level) Dispatcher testing (48 or higher)
(b) CritiCall pre-employment testing (73 or higher).
Testing information is provided for San Jose only but results are accepted from any California POST location. If you would like to check other locations, visit https://post.ca.gov/Public-Safety-Dispatcher-Entry-Level-Test-Battery-Applicant-FAQs.
POST Dispatcher Test Dates and Registration
Test dates and registration is available at http://sbrpstc-dispatch-tests.eventbrite.com/. It takes up to 10 business days to receive results.
T-Score results of 48 or higher is passing. This test is approximately 2.5 hours. The cost for the POST Dispatcher exam will be $22 due at the time of registration. Candidates who are hired for this position can submit testing receipts for reimbursement after their date of hire.
CritiCall Test Dates and Registration
Test dates and registration is available at https://www.eventbrite.com/o/criticall-exams-12070276604. Results are available immediately at the completion of the test.
CritiCall results of 73 or higher is passing. This test is approximately 1.5 hours. The cost for the CritiCall exam will be $77 due at the time of registration. Candidates who are hired for this position can submit testing receipts for reimbursement after their date of hire.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy employment application including complete supplemental question responses.
- A detailed resume that highlights your related skills and experience.
- A P.O.S.T Dispatcher Test T-Score of 48 or higher, dated within one year.
- A CritiCall Pre-Employment Test score result of 73 percent or higher, dated within one year.
- A certificated typing/keyboarding certificate showing a typing/keyboarding speed of at least 35wpm. Note: Candidates invited to an interview will be required to provide a typing/keyboarding certification prior to the interview
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit on line. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
First review of application packets - Monday, April 5, 2021
Second review of application packets - Monday, May 10, 2021
Final closing date - Friday, May 28, 2021 at 5:00 p.m.
Pleas note that interviews may be scheduled at any time.
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a detailed P.O.S.T. background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, P.O.S.T. medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.