Police Officer - Lateral
$111,263.46 - $135,245.05 Potential Compensation
Holiday Pay – 6.37%
Bilingual pay – 5%
Education pay (up to) – 7.5%
Annual Uniform pay $1400
(Base Annual Salary $93,600.96 - 113,775.60)
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: CONTINUOUS RECRUITMENT
Applications will be continuously reviewed. Oral board interviews may be scheduled at any time.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for the position of Police Officer – Lateral. The Gilroy Police Department is located 28 miles south of San Jose, in Santa Clara County, and serves a diverse population base of approximately 56,000 residents. The Gilroy Police Department (GPD) provides 24 hours patrol services responding to public safety calls for service and implementing crime suppression, conducting investigations, traffic enforcement and accident investigation and solving civil conflicts, arresting suspects and engaging in directed patrol missions to prevent or reduce crime in order to protect life and property for the citizens of Gilroy.
The Mission of the Gilroy Police Department is: Providing excellent public safety services in partnership with the community.
The Vision of the Gilroy Police Department is: The men and women of the Gilroy Police Department are dedicated to courageously ensuring the safety of our community.
The Core Values are: Respect, Integrity, Compassion, Teamwork, Innovation, and Accountability.
Under general direction of a police supervisor, patrol and assigned beat in the enforcement of law and order; protects life and property; maintain a calm and safe community.
REIMAGINE YOUR JOURNEY
WHAT YOU GAIN AS A MEMBER OF GILROY PD
- Competitive Salary
- State of the Art Training and Equipment
- On-site Work Out Facility
- Specialty Assignments:
- Anti-Crime Team
- County Task Forces
- Field Training Officer
- K-9 and Mounted Units
- Bike Unit
- Crime Scene Investigations
- Peer Support Team
- Honor Guard
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
IF YOU HAVE:
- The ability to reimagine and embrace contemporary modern policing practices
- The willingness to be a part of police technology advances
- The drive to employ effective and meaningful change in Gilroy
- An engaging philosophy and the ability to build relationships with community members from diverse backgrounds
- A strong and compassionate work ethic
- The ability to adapt to a changing environment
- A self-accountable attitude and approach to your work
- A heart for community service
- The desire to be a role model for youth in our community
- Aspire to be part of an innovative team environment
- Integrity and loyalty
YOU ARE A GOOD FIT FOR THE GILROY POLICE DEPARTMENT!
JOIN OUR TEAM
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Perform mobile patrol or fixed post in an assigned area for the prevention of crime and the enforcement of traffic laws and regulations.
- Investigate and prepare reports on accidents, offenses and damage to property
- Make arrests and take law enforcement action as appropriate.
- Respond to pages, radio, and telephone dispatches.
- Note and report traffic hazards, assist in controlling traffic at scenes of emergencies.
- Give verbal warning, issue citations and serve warrants.
- Work with juveniles.
- Intervene in private or public disputes to protect the public.
- Appear in court.
- Investigate complaints.
- Request medical attention for victims, citizens and suspects when necessary.
- Interview persons whose actions are suspicious.
- May transport prisoners.
- May ride motorcycle.
- Provide first aid.
- Care for and maintain departmental equipment.
- Work an assigned shift with varied days and/or hours.
- Conduct follow-up investigations.
- Report vice conditions.
- Perform in specialized functions when assigned.
- Participate in related training programs.
- May be required to speak in front of community groups.
- May do research into law, policies, and related matters.
- May be required to train other department members.
- May be subject to recall/call-out.
- Perform related work as required.
- LATERAL LEVEL: Any combination of education, training or experience equivalent to graduation from high school or possession of a G.E.D. certificate, and possession of a valid P.O.S.T. Basic certificate.
- Be at least 21 years of age.
- Pass a physical agility test.
- Be able to meet the current Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) medical standards for a peace officer and be free from any physical condition which might adversely affect the exercise of power as a peace officer.
- Pass P.O.S.T. background investigation, which includes a polygraph examination, an extensive Department of Justice criminal record check, an FBI check and a firearms clearance.
- Pass a post-offer psychological evaluation and a medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Must be a U.S. citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship. Peace officer applicants must obtain citizenship within three years after filing an employment application.
- Possess and maintain a valid California river license necessary to operate assigned vehicles.
- Required to be proficient in typical police weaponry
- Pass all required department and P.O.S.T. training.
- Must C.P.R. and First Aid within six (6) months of hire.
- Establish and maintain residency within 45 minutes normal driving time from the Gilroy Police Station within 18 months from date of hire.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, please attach and submit the following required items with your electronic NEOGOV application:
- Cover letter that explains your specific interest in this position with the City of Gilroy Police Department
- Detailed resume focusing on relevant law enforcement work experience and education
- A copy of the required valid P.O.S.T Basic Certificate
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This is a continuous recruitment with periodic review of application packets. Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.