POLICE OFFICER TRAINEE
$7020.07 per month
(Flat salary while attending the P.O.S.T Basic Police Academy)
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Applications will be continuously reviewed. Oral board interviews may be scheduled at any time.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is recruiting for the position of Police Officer Trainee. The Gilroy Police Department is located 28 miles south of San Jose, in Santa Clara County, and serves a diverse population base of approximately 53,000 residents. The Gilroy Police Department (GPD) provides 24 hours patrol services responding to public safety calls for service and implementing crime suppression, conducting investigations, traffic enforcement and accident investigation and solving civil conflicts, arresting suspects and engaging in directed patrol missions to prevent or reduce crime in order to protect life and property for the citizens of Gilroy.
The Mission of the Gilroy Police Department is: Providing excellent public safety services in partnership with the community.
The Vision of the Gilroy Police Department is: The men and women of the Gilroy Police Department are dedicated to courageously ensuring the safety of our community.
The Core Values are: Respect, Integrity, Compassion, Teamwork, Innovation, and Accountability.
Under general direction of a police supervisor and/or police academy supervisor, and in a non-sworn capacity, attend and participate in a comprehensive training program at a Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) certified basic police academy; to learn, train and successfully perform all related learning and testing activities relative to the technical knowledge, skills and physical capabilities required to perform in the capacity of a sworn police officer; and to successfully complete the police academy. Perform related duties as required.
Police Officer Trainees do not possess peace officer authority while attending the academy. Individuals in this job classification are considered temporary, non-sworn, at-will employees. Appointment to a sworn peace officer position is contingent upon successful completion of the academy followed by a final review by the Police Chief.
WHAT YOU GAIN AS A MEMBER OF GILROY PD
- Sponsorship to attend the Basic Academy
- Mentorship and support while attending the Basic Academy
Once hired as a Sworn Officer:
- Competitive Salary
- State of the Art Training and Equipment
- On-site Work Out Facility
- Specialty Assignments:
- Anti-Crime Team
- County Task Forces
- Field Training Officer
- K-9 and Mounted Units
- Bike Unit
- Crime Scene Investigations
- Peer Support Team
- Honor Guard
- Unmanned Aerial Systems
IF YOU HAVE:
- The drive to be a top performer in a P.O.S.T. Basic Academy
- The ability to learn and embrace contemporary modern policing practices
- The desire to train, learn and implement effective police practices in partnership with the community
- The willingness to be a part of police technology advances
- The ability to build relationships with community members from diverse backgrounds
- A strong and compassionate work ethic
- The ability to adapt to a changing environment
- A self-accountable attitude and approach to your studies and work
- A heart for community service
- The desire to be a role model for youth in our community
- The courage to ensure a safe community for Gilroy residents and visitors
- Respect, Integrity, Compassion, Teamwork, Innovation, & Accountability
YOU ARE A GOOD FIT FOR THE GILROY POLICE DEPARTMENT!
JOIN OUR TEAM
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Attend, fully participate in, successfully complete and graduate from a California P.O.S.T. approved basic police academy.
- Successfully perform all related learning, both academic and physical (defensive tactics, firearms, driving, etc.), and testing activities.
- Care for and maintain departmental equipment.
- Attend all academy courses and training in accordance with the academy schedule which may include varied days and/or hours.
- Report criminal activity.
- Perform in specialized functions when assigned.
- Participate in related training programs.
- May be required to speak in front of community groups.
- May do research into law, policies, and related matters.
- May be subject to recall/call-out.
- Perform related work as required.
- High school graduation or G.E.D. equivalency. Some college work preferred.
- Must be at least 20.5 years of age at time of testing and at least 21 years of age at time of appointment to sworn peace officer.
- Pass a P.O.S.T. physical agility test.
- Be able to meet the current Peace Officer Standards and Training (P.O.S.T.) medical standards for a peace officer and be free from any physical condition, which might adversely affect the exercise of power as a peace officer.
- Pass a P.O.S.T. background investigation, which includes a polygraph examination, an extensive Department of Justice criminal record check, an FBI check and a firearms clearance.
- Pass a post-offer psychological evaluation and a medical examination, which includes a drug test.
- Must be a U.S. Citizen or a permanent resident alien who is eligible for and has applied for citizenship. Peace officer applicants must obtain citizenship within three years after filing an employment application.
- Possess and maintain a valid California Driver License and a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicles.
- Required to be proficient in typical police weaponry and meet department firearms qualification requirements.
- Pass all required department and P.O.S.T. training.
- Possess and maintain CPR and First Aid Certificates within six (6) months of hire.
- Within 18 months from date of hire as a sworn peace officer, must establish and maintain residency within 45 minutes normal driving time from the Gilroy Police Station.
- Prefer bilingual (English/Spanish).
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
P.O.S.T. TEST BATTERY INFORMATION
To apply for this excellent job opportunity, candidates must obtain two P.O.S.T. test battery certifications (written battery and agility battery) as described below. The below information references testing locations near Gilroy that provide this testing and certification; however, candidates may obtain the identical certifications at other California P.O.S.T. certified testing locations. Only California P.O.S.T. certifications will be accepted. Certificates must be dated within one year of application date.
Test Dates and Registration for (PELLETB) P.O.S.T. Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery
To register for this test, please visit https://theacademy.ca.gov/tests for a full listing of dates, times, and locations available in the Gilroy region. Start time may vary. Please plan your time and arrive at least 15 minutes early. Testing dates are subject to change by the testing location.
The cost to candidates for this exam will be $12.00 plus a test fee of $2.01 due at the time of registration. If you have any questions please feel free to contact The Academy at (408) 270-6458. Please submit a copy of your certificate showing the minimum T-Score of 48 at the time of application. Again, P.O.S.T. Entry-Level Law Enforcement Test Battery certificates with a minimum T-score of 48 will be accepted from California P.O.S.T. locations other than the one listed above provided they are dated within one year of the employment application.
Test Dates and Registration for (WSTB) P.O.S.T. Physical Agility Work Sample Test Battery
To register for the test to obtain a P.O.S.T. Physical Agility Work Sample Test Battery, please visit https://theacademy.ca.gov/tests for a full listing of dates and locations available in the Gilroy region. All of the physical agility examinations begin at promptly 12:30 p.m. Please plan your time and arrive at least 15 minutes early. Also, the website noted above contains information regarding practice sessions offered to candidates.
The cost to candidates for this exam will be $100.00 plus a test fee of $5.09 due at the time of registration. If you have any questions please feel free to contact The Academy at (408) 270-6458. Please submit a copy of your P.O.S.T. Physical Agility Work Sample Test Battery certificate showing the minimum score of 320 points at the time of application. Again, P.O.S.T. Physical Agility Work Sample Test Battery certificates with a minimum score of 320 points will be accepted from California P.O.S.T. locations other than the ones listed above provided they are dated within one year of the employment application.
The city of Gilroy will be investing significant time and expense to sponsor the candidate through the full P.O.S.T. police academy. Sponsorship will include the salary noted in this flyer, academy fees and tuition, and mentorship from current Gilroy officers. Therefore, these certifications are required to provide an early indication of the candidate's commitment and ability to be a successful graduate of the police academy.
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application form including supplemental responses.
- Cover letter that explains your specific interest in this position with the City of Gilroy Police Department
- Detailed resume focusing on relevant work experience and education
- Copy of P.O.S.T. Entry-Level Law Enforcement Written Test Battery T-Score Certificate with a minimum t-score of 48 (See pages four and five of this flyer for information on testing – Pre registration is required)
- Copy of P.O.S.T. Physical Agility Work Sample Test Battery Certificate with a minimum score of 320 points (See pages four and five of this flyer for information on testing – Pre registration is required)
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This is a continuous recruitment with periodic review of application packets. Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.