Recreation Leader II: $15.00 hourly
Recreation Leader III: $16.08 - $20.02 hourly
Gilroy Youth Center
Program hours are:
During the School Year - Monday thru Friday from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
During the Summer- Monday thru Thursday from 12:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
Evenings and/or weekends when available
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE:
Open Until Filled
ABOUT THE POSITION
City of Gilroy is recruiting for Recreation Leader positions for the Gilroy Youth Center. At this time, there are two (2) positions to be filled. The main goal of the Recreation Division is to offer excellent recreation programs that provide community members with a wide-range of opportunities to celebrate life and community through people, parks, programs, and special events which are delivered by a team of employees dedicated to offering quality recreational, social, and cultural services to all Gilroy residents.
Under direct supervision of a Recreation Coordinator or Recreation Specialist and indirect supervision of a Recreation Supervisor, assist, plan, organize, and lead the physical, recreational, and social activities of assigned recreation programs. Program areas include, but are not limited to, Adaptive (Special Needs), Adult and/or Youth sports, After School Program, Cultural Arts, Facility Attendant, Senior Center, Special Events, Summer Camps, and Youth Center/Youth Services. This position may be a year round part-time position or seasonal position, depending on the recreation program. As related experience is gained as noted in the job qualifications and requirements, and with the recommendation in the employee's performance evaluation, Recreation Leaders can advance from Recreation Leader I to Recreation Leader II or from Recreation Leader II to Recreation Leader III. As the employee advances through the job series the employee will take on more responsibility and more challenging work assignments.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF WORK:
The following are examples of work that apply to all Recreation Leaders though some work may vary based on assigned program areas.
- Assist and/or lead in organizing a wide variety of programs and activities to meet the recreational, educational, physical, and social needs in the community. Expect to work with multiple age groups such as children, teenagers, adults and seniors.
- Observe program areas to insure cleanliness and safe, proper use of facilities and equipment.
- Participate in related training programs and staff meetings.
- Perform a variety of clerical and administrative support functions for assigned program area as needed.
- Render first aid in the event of injury.
- Perform related work as required and may be asked to do the following:
- Issue and collect equipment.
- Setup and tear-down for programming
- Provide elementary instruction in arts and crafts, recreation, and sports activities.
- Keep activity and attendance records.
- May keep score at athletic events.
- Prepare field for various organized games.
- Serve as an attendant during a facility reservation.
- Drive City vehicle as assigned.
REQUIREMENTS, EXPERIENCE, AND QUALIFICATIONS:
Recreation Leader II:
- Sixteen (16) years of age or older at date of hire.
- One year of paid experience working in a recreation program-type setting.
- Experience supervising children, teens, adults, and/or seniors preferred.
- Experience communicating with parents and the general public preferred.
Recreation Leader III:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two years of paid experience working in a recreation program-type setting.
- Must have experience supervising children, teens, adults, and/or seniors.
- Must have experience communicating with parents and the general public.
Recreation Leaders (All Levels):
- Valid tuberculosis (TB) Certificate.
- May be required to possess and maintain a valid California Driver License along with a safe driving record necessary to operate assigned vehicle(s).
- Possess (within 12 months of hire) and maintain a valid First Aid and CPR/AED certification.
- Pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Pass an employment background check including a Department of Justice criminal record check.
- Prefer non-tobacco user.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) a plus.
The "Ideal Candidate" will have:
- have excellent customer service skills
- have the ability to solve problems and conflicts.
- have good communication skills (be able to communicate with parents).
- be a team player with the ability to positively interface with other departments.
- be available to work morning and afternoon program hours.
FIRST YEAR PROJECTS
1. Assist with planning for summer and for fall
2. Develop age-appropriate arts and craft projects and/or physical activities
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity, there are three (3) required item that must be submitted with your application in order for you to be considered:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental question responses.
- Cover letter
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
This position is open until filled. To be considered please submit all application materials. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process.
In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass a State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, TB/PPD Testing, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include your e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.