ABOUT THE POSITION
The City of Gilroy is currently recruiting a full-time Senior Civil Engineer for the Engineering Division of the Public Works Department. In this exciting opportunity the Senior Civil Engineer will work under the direction of the City Engineer and will head the Capital Improvement Program (CIP) Section. This position will manage, review, and perform duties relative to CIP project delivery and construction activities, supervise assigned employees, will direct and perform complex professional-level field and office engineering assignments, and play an important part in making a difference in the community.
A variety of Public Works projects involve design, development, and construction of projects; therefore, exceptional project management skills are imperative to be successful in this role. Additionally, the Senior Civil Engineer will manage assigned staff and consultants, and assist with budgeting tasks within the Engineering Division. Furthermore, the Senior Civil Engineer will provide and participate in critical team leadership to ensure that all engineering services, goals, projects, and initiatives meet the high-performance standards of the Department and City.
THE TEAM AND DEPARTMENT
When you join our team, you will work amongst Engineering professionals who share a passion for serving the residents of Gilroy and improving the community. Our goal is to continuously promote a better quality of life for those who live, work, and visit the City of Gilroy by facilitating efficient engineering services and the creation of orderly growth and development within the city. The Public Works Engineering team values teamwork, innovation, collaboration and offers a busy yet supportive environment.
Made up of three work groups – Traffic/Transportation Engineering, Land Development, and Capital Improvement Programs (CIP) - our team of talented Engineers and Technicians collaborate to design, build and maintain the City’s water, wastewater, storm drain, streets, sidewalks, parks, landscapes, urban forest and related infrastructure. The department prepares and coordinates the capital budget for facilities and the capital and maintenance budgets for all City infrastructure.
Public Works reviews new developments to ensure that all new public infrastructure is in compliance with City, State and Federal codes, regulations and standards. The department oversees the capital budget and
operation of the South County Regional Wastewater Authority (SCRWA). SCRWA treats the wastewater for the Cities of Gilroy and Morgan Hill and produces recycled water for South Santa Clara County.
EXCITING FIRST YEAR PROJECTS
- 10th Street and Cohansey Bridge Projects
- FY22 Pavement Maintenance Project
- 7th Street/ Eigleberry Parking Lot
- Well #9 Design and Construction
- US 101 & 10th Street HWY 152 Interchange project
WHY THIS IS A GREAT JOB AND PLACE TO WORK
- Ability to gain well-rounded work experience in a variety of public works program areas.
- Opportunity for professional development in the areas of Capital Improvement Projects, Land Development, Transportation & Traffic Engineering, contract administration, and project management.
- Opportunity to develop leadership and supervisorial skills and abilities.
- The engineering team has the feel of a “work family” to include a friendly and supportive working environment.
- Opportunity to work a 9/80 work schedule.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE WILL
- Be passionate about Public Works Engineering and making a difference in the community.
- Have extensive civil engineering experience in designing, constructing, and delivering municipal Capital Improvement Projects.
- Be excited to lead, manage, and supervise the work of others and demonstrate effective project management skills to prioritize competing CIP programs.
- Confidently and accurately make difficult engineering computations.
- Establish project designs and specifications for solutions to problems.
- Have strong communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Have experience working with contractors and developers ensuring construction practices are compliant with City Standards.
- Provide exceptional customer service skills to include timely and accurate responses to residents and business customers.
- Be proficient in project management to include knowledge of project management software (Virtual Project Manager or similar) and enterprise permitting software (Tyler, EnerGov or similar).
- Be self-motivated and show initiative in the completion of work.
- Have experience with conflict resolution.
- Be a dependable team player, with the ability to establish strong internal and external working relationships.
- Be highly organized and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously to keep up with a busy workload.
- Have proficient computer skills and experience with Excel and related Microsoft Office tools at an intermediate level and be comfortable with cell phone applications (IOS devices).
If you are interested in pursuing this exciting career opportunity please attach and submit the following required items with your NEOGOV application:
- A completed City of Gilroy online application including supplemental responses.
- A list of three (3) professional references.
- A detailed resume highlighting related experience is required.
- A cover letter expressing your specific interest in this position is strongly preferred.
- A copy of your Professional Engineer License is required.
City Application Form – Candidates must complete the NEOGOV City of Gilroy application form for this position and submit online. Please prepare attachments prior to completion of the NEOGOV application as incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Apply Online: Go to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/cityofgilroy. You can apply online by clicking on the job title you are interested in and clicking on the "Apply" link. After viewing the Job Description, click the 'Apply' tab. If this is the first time you are applying using our online job application, you will need to create an account and select a Username and Password. After your account has been established, you can import your resume from LinkedIn, upload it from a saved document on your computer, or manually enter your personal information. This application will be saved and used to apply for future job openings.
Recruitment Schedule – Key Dates*
- Application Closing Date: Open Until Filled; Please apply ASAP. Applications will be reviewed as submitted.
- Interview: TBD
- Finalist Interview: TBD
(*Note: The examination process/schedule may be changed as needed by the City.)
Only complete application packets will be reviewed. Only the most qualified applicants with the most relevant experience and education will be invited to continue in the selection process. In addition, final candidates for the position are required to pass an employment background check, State of California Department of Justice criminal records check, medical evaluation, and drug screen, given at the City's expense, prior to appointment. If special accommodations are necessary at any stage of the selection process, please contact the Human Resources Department right away 408-846-0228.
Attention: Communication regarding your status in this recruitment process will be conducted via e-mail. Be sure to include an e-mail address on the employment application. Applicants are responsible for notifying Human Resources of any changes to an e-mail address and/or other contact information.
THE CITY OF GILROY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AND SUPPORTS WORKFORCE DIVERSITY.