The PSE – Public Works Maintenance Worker I/II position performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled labor in the construction, maintenance and repair of County roads, bridges, culverts and other related structures, and in various traffic control maintenance and repair activities or in the various solid waste site activities of the Public Works Agency. This position may operate a variety of construction, maintenance and transportation equipment as necessary to complete daily tasks. The PSE – Public Works Maintenance Worker I is the entry/journey-level class series, and is distinguished from the next higher classification of PSE - Public Works Maintenance Worker II in that the latter is the entry/journey-level responsible to perform a wider range of duties in the assigned maintenance area and is required to have a Class B driver’s license with appropriate endorsements. This position is at-Will, Temporary and scheduled for up to forty (40) hours per week.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Prepares roads for patch repairs, overlays, or chip seals; prepares mix for patching roads; repairs and reconstructs roads.
- Prunes trees and other vegetation as needed.
- Cleans roadsides and drainage systems; inspects and clears debris from drainage systems; conducts roadside burning as needed.
- Hauls materials to and from work sites as required.
- Directs and controls traffic around work sites.
- Forms, pours, and finishes concrete.
- Maintains, cleans, and performs minor repairs to assigned equipment and tools.
- Will have experience in road maintenance or construction trade.
- Will have possession of a Class B driver’s license for the PSE II-Public Works Maintenance Worker II position.
ARE WE A MATCH?
- You are able to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- You have knowledge of traffic laws, rules and ordinances involved in truck and equipment operations; traffic control regulations.
- You are able to perform a variety of semi-skilled and skilled construction, maintenance and repair work.
- You are able to perform heavy manual labor.
I/II-Some experience in the construction trades or road maintenance is desirable.
I/II-Formal or informal education or training which ensures the ability to read and write at a level necessary for successful job performance.
LICENSE or CERTIFICATE:
I-Possession of, or ability to obtain an appropriate, valid California Class B driver’s license within one year of employment.
II - Possession of, or ability to obtain an appropriate, valid California Class A driver’s license with proper endorsements within one year of employment.
Up to 24 hours per year of paid sick leave. Up to 48 hours of paid sick leave maximum accrual.
SHORT TERM DISABILITY:
The County coordinates with State Disability Insurance for regular employees.
The County is in the California Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) which is coordinated with Social Security. Unused accrued sick leave can be converted to service credit at retirement. This applies only to PSE’s who work more than 1,000 hours in a fiscal year.
To apply for this job opportunity, submit a completed County of Glenn employment application packet online at calopps.org or to the Personnel Department: 525 W. Sycamore Street, Willows, CA 95988 by
5:00 P.M., Friday, May 21, 2021.
Application packets must include the following
• A Glenn County Employment Application
This recruitment may be used to establish a list to fill future vacancies for the next twelve (12) months.
Apply online at: www.countyofglenn.net
The County of Glenn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process should contact the Personnel Department.
The above information is general in nature and does not constitute an expressed or implied contract. The County of Glenn has the right to rescind this recruitment at any time.