This position performs a variety of work in the monitoring of county, state and federal detainees and maintains the security and safety of inmates and staff.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Performs booking procedures, including receiving, booking and assigning prisoners to cells; performing body searches; fingerprinting, and photographing prisoners, etc.
- Maintains custody of prisoners’ private property.
- Maintains the safe and orderly operation of the County jail facility; monitors security cameras and door warning lights; screens and monitors visitors. Inspects all of inmates’ incoming and outgoing mail and telegrams.
- Inspects facilities regularly.
- Monitors the condition and activities of prisoners.
- Prepares prisoners for court appearances; provides transportation as necessary.
- Administers First Aid in emergency situations.
- Performs general office work, including but not limited to entering computer data, copying and filing documents, etc.
- Prepares and submits required records and reports.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be able to work under stressful or dangerous conditions, often involving considerable personal risk or risk to others. In addition be able to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
ARE WE A MATCH?
- You are able learn the principles and practices of inmate classification.
- You know pertinent federal, state and county laws and regulations.
- You are able to accurately observe and recall incidents and situations encountered.
- You know principles and practices of record-keeping and reporting.
- You are able to deal courteously, yet firmly and effectively with the public in police situations.
No experience is required.
High school diploma or GED equivalent.
LICENSE OR CERTIFICATE:
Possession of, or ability to obtain, an appropriate, valid California driver’s license. Possession of, or ability to obtain, a S.T.C. Correction Officer Core Course Certificate and Penal Code 832 Certificate.
5% - Holiday Pay
$0.40 per hour – Uniform Allowance
$500 – Uniform Allowance for New Hires
$0.75 per hour – Bi-Lingual pay
12 paid holidays per year. In lieu of the twelve holidays the employee’s base hourly rate is increased by 5% above the approved, published rate for the employee’s step and range. In addition to the 12 paid holidays, employees will also receive 1 floating holiday per year.
80 hours (approximately 10 working days) per year during the first two years of service; 120 hours (approximately 15 working days) per year during years 3 through 12; 160 hours (approximately 20 working days) per year during years 13 through 19. 200 hours (approximately 25 working days) per year after 20 or more years of service. This does not include hours received in lieu of 13 paid holidays. POA employees are not entitled to use vacation pay until they have been employed one full year.
96 hours (approximately twelve working days) per year of paid sick leave.
40 hours with pay for each instance for immediate family members. Immediate family includes spouse, child, stepchild, stepparent, parent, grandparent, parent-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, brother or sister.
Service is based on employment with Glenn County. The County shall provide a longevity differential above the employee’s base rate of pay for those employees represented by this unit as follows: after 10 full years of service 5%, after 15 full years of service 1%, after 20 full years of service 1%, after 25 full years of service 1% and after 30 full years of service 1% for a total of 9%.
Glenn County contracts with PERS for medical insurance. The County pays a portion of the medical insurance premium based on the carrier and amount of the total premium.
POA employees are offered a choice of two voluntary dental insurance plans; UNUM Dental Maintenance Plan and Guardian Dental Plan. The County pays a portion of the employee’s dental premium.
The County pays 90% of the employee’s premium for Medical Eye Services (MES) coverage. Enrollment is voluntary.
The County offers three IRC § 457 voluntary Deferred Compensation Plans (tax deferred long-term savings plans): Voya, Nationwide and John Hancock.
SHORT TERM DISABILITY:
The County coordinates with State Short Term Disability Insurance for regular employees.
The County pays the premium on a $10,000 Group Term Life Insurance policy for regular County employees. The employee pays the premium for optional life insurance.
The County is in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS 2½% @ 55 and after 1/1/13 PERS 2% @ 62) which is coordinated with Social Security. The employee is responsible for paying 100% of the employee’s contribution to PERS. Unused accrued sick leave can be converted to service credit at retirement.
Premium pay such as shift differential and working-out-of-class pay may be paid depending upon the employee’s work assignment and class.
Uniformed employees are paid $832 per year to purchase, replace and/or clean uniforms. This payment is made by adding $.40 to the employee’s base hourly rate. Newly hired (not promoted within) Sheriff’s Correctional Deputies shall receive a $500 uniform allowance.
*Benefits are listed for full-time employees; certain benefits are pro-rated for part-time employees.
To apply for this job opportunity, submit a completed County of Glenn employment application packet online at calopps.org or to the Personnel Department: 525 W. Sycamore Street, Willows, CA 95988 by
5:00 P.M., Friday, February 4, 2022.The written test is scheduled for the week of February 14th, 2022. Oral Board test will be scheduled once the written test is completed.
Application packets must include the following
• A Glenn County Employment Application • Résumé
• Transcripts and/or Certificates • Cover Letter
• GCPER 44/Conviction Form
Apply online at: www.countyofglenn.net
The County of Glenn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process should contact the Personnel Department.
The above information is general in nature and does not constitute an expressed or implied contract. The County of Glenn has the right to rescind this recruitment at any time.