The Engineering Technician III performs a variety of technical engineering and surveying work involved in planning, design and construction of public works projects; provides technical staff assistance to higher level engineering staff; provides information to the public. Engineering Technician III is the lead worker classification in the technical engineering classification series. Incumbents are expected to be able to perform many of the less complex tasks typically performed by civil engineers. This position is scheduled for forty (40) hours per week.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Reviews and inspects land development projects related to structures including streets, curbs, gutters and sidewalks, storm drains and other off site construction; review legal descriptions on land development projects.
- Review plans for conformance with regulations regarding size, elevation and location of structures; verifies calculations.
- Prepares plans, profiles and drawings including calculation of grades; and preparation of quantity and cost estimates.
- Researches status of County-owned property; reviews lot line adjustment descriptions for recording; identifies and prepares reports on property suspected of illegal subdivision.
- Prepares, approves and conducts inspections for encroachment permits; approves transportation permits.
- Supervises and/or participates in the surveying of public works projects, including field data collection and construction staking.
- Responds to public inquiries and requests for assistance.
The ideal candidate will have experience with inspecting projects, drafting and using AutoCAD.
ARE WE A MATCH?
- You are able to work independently with minimal supervision.
- You have knowledge of manual and automated drafting techniques.
- You are able to prepare, understand and interpret engineering construction plans, specifications and other contract documents.
- You have knowledge of advanced mathematics and their application to engineering and surveying work.
Three years of recent engineering experience including at least two years at a level comparable to the Engineering Technician II; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
High school diploma or GED equivalent. Completion of an accredited two-year college curriculum in civil engineering or a related technical field can be substituted for experience on a year-for-year basis up to a maximum of two years.
13 paid holidays per year and an additional twenty four hours of Holiday Leave. An employee must be employed the last working day before and the first working day after the holiday in order to receive holiday compensation. Employees on leave without pay shall not accrue holiday benefits.
88 hours (approximately 11 working days) per year during the first 2 years of service; 128 hours (approximately 16 working days) per year during years 3 through 12; 168 hours (approximately 21 working days) per year during years 13 through 19; 208 hours (approximately 26 working days) per year after 20 full years of service.
96 hours (approximately twelve working days) per year of paid sick leave.
40 hours with pay for each instance for immediate family members. Immediate family includes spouse, child, stepchild, grandchild, stepparent, parent, grandparent, parent-in-law, grandparent-in-law, brother-in-law, sister-in-law, brother or sister.
Service is based on employment with Glenn County. The County shall provide a longevity differential above the employee’s base rate of pay for those employees represented by this unit as follows: after 10 full years of service 5%, after 15 full years of service 1%, after 20 full years of service 1%, after 25 full years of service 1% and after 30 full years of service 1% for a total of 9%.
Glenn County contracts with PERS for medical insurance. The County pays a portion of the medical insurance premium based on the carrier and amount of the total premium.
The County pays the employee premium for a vision plan with EyeMed. The employee may enroll dependents at the employee’s expense.
GCGU employees are offered a choice of two voluntary dental insurance plans; Delta Dental (PPO) and DeltaCare (HMO). The employee pays 100% of the premium through payroll deduction.
The County offers three IRC § 457 voluntary Deferred Compensation Plans (tax deferred long-term savings plans): Voya, Nationwide and Edward Jones.
SHORT TERM DISABILITY:
The County coordinates with State Short Term Disability Insurance for regular employees.
The County pays the premium on a $10,000 Term Life Insurance policy for regular County employees. The employee pays the premium for optional life insurance.
The County participates in the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) which is coordinated with Social Security. The employee is responsible for 100% of the employee’s portion. Unused accrued sick leave can be converted to service credit at retirement.
GCGU employees participate in the Laborers’ International of North America (Industrial) Pension Fund.
Premium pay such as shift differential, bilingual, and working-out-of-class pay may be paid depending upon the employee’s work assignment and class.
*Benefits are listed for full-time employees; certain benefits are pro-rated for part-time employees.
To apply for this job opportunity, submit a completed County of Glenn employment application packet online at calopps.org or to the Personnel Department: 525 W. Sycamore Street, Willows, CA 95988 by
5:00 P.M., Friday, March 31st, 2023.
This recruitment may be used to establish a list to fill future vacancies for the next six (6) months.
Application packets must include the following
• A Glenn County Employment Application • Résumé
• Transcripts and/or Certificates • Cover Letter
Apply online at: www.countyofglenn.net
The County of Glenn is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Qualified individuals with disabilities who need a reasonable accommodation during the application or selection process should contact the Personnel Department.
The above information is general in nature and does not constitute an expressed or implied contract. The County of Glenn has the right to rescind this recruitment at any time.