The City of Half Moon Bay
Invites you to apply for the position of:
Building Attendant I $12 - $14.58 Hourly
Building Attendant II $13.90 - $16.89 Hourly
Building Attendant III $16.10 - $19.56 Hourly
This is a part-time position not to exceed 1,000 hours per Fiscal Year (July - June).
Why Consider The City of Half Moon Bay?
It’s simple: We are a dedicated team of professionals committed to providing exceptional service to the community we serve, and we want you to join us!
About Our Team
At the City of Half Moon Bay, you will work alongside a team of creative and highly motivated professionals, who on a daily basis contribute their talents and commitment in providing essential public services to our residents and businesses.
About The Position
We are seeking highly motivated, highly skilled, innovative and enthusiastic individuals to join the Recreation and Human Services Division with the City of Half Moon Bay. As a critical member of this team you’ll be responsible for assisting in organizing and conducting a variety of recreation programs and activities.
You will report to the Recreation Coordinator and work alongside the Recreation Leader and other Building Attendants. You will also receive support from the Deputy City Manager, a Senior Management Analyst, and a Management Analyst. You will have the opportunity to work in a beautiful community and a tremendous opportunity to build and expand on the organizational and community success that has transformed the City over the past several years.
The City has embarked on a positive direction that requires progressive leadership from engaged, active and hands-on staff members, with a track record of developing and maintaining strong relationships with all stakeholders that provide creative and timely solutions to priorities, projects and services.
What You Will Do
- Open, secure and close City facilities.
- Arrange chairs, tables and other equipment for events held at City facilities.
- Arrange audio system and room set-up for City Council, Planning Commission and Recreation Committee meetings.
- Monitor activities during the facility rentals and other facility usage including monitoring the time of access and departure of the group, monitoring set up and clean up quality provided by the group to ensure that department standards are met. Inspect facilities after usage ends.
- Accept and file facility rental paperwork and drop in fees.
- Provide customer service in person or by phone by orienting users, answering questions and resolving problems.
- Enforce department rules including facility rental policies.
- Communicate with the community in both English and Spanish (preferred).
- Work evenings and weekends as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
What You Bring
Sufficient education and experience to satisfactorily perform the duties of this classification. Knowing that any combination of experience and training that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. Such as:
Building Attendant I: Possession of a High School Diploma, or equivalent, and no experience working in a recreation setting. Experience working in a recreation setting can substitute for the diploma or equivalent.
Building Attendant II: Possession of a High School Diploma, or equivalent; and two (2) year’s paid or unpaid work experience, or two (2) years of experience equivalent to the level of Building Attendant I.
Building Attendant III: Possession of a High School Diploma, or equivalent; and four (4) year’s paid or unpaid work experience, or four (4) years of recreation leadership experience equivalent to the level of Building Attendant I.
- Basic mathematical functions.
- Equipment, facilities, operations and techniques used in a comprehensive community recreation program.
- Modern computer equipment and Microsoft Office suite programs and browsers.
- Set up audio and video systems and other devices as needed.
- Maintain an even disposition under pressure and trying circumstances.
- Read general diagrams for event set ups.
- Communicate clearly and understandably, both verbally and in writing.
- Provide excellent customer service to internal and external customers including, vendors, renters and instructors.
- Work variable hours, including mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Perform heavy manual labor.
- Ensure the safety and security of buildings.
Who You Are
- Comfortable working with a diverse community, instructors and staff.
- Strong communicator with excellent writing and interpersonal skills.
- Innovative problem solver who thinks outside the box.
- Individual who is self-motivated, team oriented, reliable and able to thrive in a fast-paced, teamwork environment.
- Professional skilled at juggling multiple priorities and projects in order to meet targeted deadlines.
The ability to maintain effective audio/visual discrimination and perception to the degree necessary for the successful performance of assigned. The ability to move tables, chairs, and equipment; lift equipment and supplies from 5 to 50 lbs. in weight is required.
This position requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, reaching, twisting, turning, kneeling, bending, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The position also requires grasping, repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in preparing statistical reports and data using a computer keyboard. Additionally, the position requires near vision in reading correspondence, statistical data and using a computer, and acute hearing is required when providing phone service and communicating in person.
Will be a highly motivated, highly skilled, innovative and enthusiastic individual with
- High School Diploma, or equivalent.
- Up to four year's work experience.
- Experience in sports or other organized recreation programs.
- Possession a valid California Class “C” Driver's License and satisfactory driving record.
- Possession of a current First Aid/CPR/AED certificate or ability to attain within 6 months of hire is preferred.
- Candidates who receive offers of employment will be required to submit fingerprints, undergo a criminal record clearance, and have a physical examination including a TB screening.
- Candidates must be eighteen (18) years of age or older.
- Bilingual (Spanish) language ability, both written and spoken, is preferred.
- The ability to work late evenings and weekends, as needed.
This is a non-benefitted position.