THE CITY OF LARKSPUR INVITES APPLICATIONS FOR THE POSITION OF ASSOCIATE PLANNER
$39.68 - $50.64 per hour*
40 Hour Work Week
Deadline to Apply: Open Until FilledWe are seeking a journey level Associate Planner to join the team at the Planning and Building Department!
The City of Larkspur is seeking an experienced planning professional looking to join the Planning & Building Department and work in a dynamic team environment in a small-town setting. This is an exciting opportunity for a professional looking to advance their career and work on a wide range of projects with a high level of responsibility and accountability. The ideal candidate is an experienced urban or regional planning professional, ready to bring outstanding customer service and professionalism to our Planning and Building Department. The position requires a high degree of interaction and coordination with various city departments, outside consultants and agencies, and the public. In addition to current and advanced planning duties, this position will be the primary staff member responsible for promoting sustainability and resiliency initiatives as well as serve as the City liaison to the Marin Climate & Energy Partnership (MCEP). The Associate Planner is expected to readily develop the skills and knowledge necessary to serve as the Zoning Administrator for the City.REPORTING TO THE PLANNING AND BUILDING DIRECTOR, THE SELECTED CANDIDATE WILL:
- Assist and answer public inquiries at permit information counter.
- Review building permits and business license certificates for conformance to current zoning regulations.
- Process administrative permit approvals (e.g. Exception Permits, Second Unit Permits)
- Process discretionary permit approvals; analyze planning and planning-related development projects; ensure development proposals conform to General Plan and other applicable plans and regulations.
- Assist in preparing amendments to the General Plan, Municipal Code, and/or other policy and procedure documents as necessary.
- Provide technical and professional advice; respond to questions and concerns from the general public; provide information as is appropriate and resolve complaints.
- Attend City Council meetings, Planning Commission meetings, and other boards, commissions, and committee meetings as needed and represent the City to outside agencies; participate in preparing and managing community workshops; take notes and prepare summary reports.
- Gather, interpret, and prepare data for permit application review process, studies, reports and recommendations; coordinate department activities with other City departments and agencies as needed.
- Manage and participate in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies and priorities for assigned programs; recommend and administer policies and procedures.
- Use a variety of software to maintain and update the Department’s website, electronic forms and databases, and records.
- Possession of a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in urban or regional planning or a related field
- At least two years of professional-level work experience in urban or regional planning or related field
In addition, qualified candidates must:
- Possess a valid Class C California Driver’s License by date of appointment
- Be willing and able to work occasional evenings as needed for required meetings
- If necessary during an emergency or disaster, work as Disaster Service Worker (DSW) as required of all public employees in the State of California
*Effective July 1, 2019
Along with solid technical proficiency, ideal qualities for a candidate include outstanding written and oral communication skills, flexibility and adaptability in the work environment, excellent interpersonal skills, and a continuous learning approach. The ideal candidate will be expected to demonstrate initiative and independent judgement within organizational policy parameters on assigned projects.
- Significant City contributions to medical and dental coverage for employees and eligible dependents
- CalPERS defined benefit retirement, 2.0% @ 55 formula for current members and new members hired prior to 12/31/12; 2.0% at 62 for new members hired after 12/31/12. Beginning 1/1/13, the employee is responsible for payment of the employee share of the pension cost
- Vision care expense reimbursement for employees
- Paid vacation, holiday, and sick leave
- Deferred compensation, flexible spending accounts, and credit union membership available to employees
- City-paid EAP, long-term disability and life insurance
It is important to complete all required materials. Please complete the online application and include a PDF copy of your resume and letter of interest in the position as attachments to the application. All applications will be screened for completeness and possession of minimum qualifications. Qualified applications will be reviewed in detail to identify the most qualified candidates to interview.
Recruitment Extended: Recruitment Open Until Filled. Next review of applications is anticipated to take place September 30, 2019. Interviews will be scheduled as soon as possible. Inquiries may be directed to Human Resources Manager Janet Thiessen at email@example.com
The City of Larkspur is not responsible for failure of Internet forms or email in submitting your application. NOTE: A comprehensive job description is found on the City of Larkspur’s website.