CITY OF LARKSPUR PART-TIME HOURLY WORKER
ASSIGNMENT: ON-CALL LIBRARIAN
Up to $30.00 per hour Maximum of 960 Hours Per Year
The City is not actively hiring part-time staff at this time but encourages prospective candidates to submit an application . Applications will be accepted for this position on a continuous basis with the intent of creating a list of qualified candidates for future hire. Please do not contact the Human Resources Department about the status of your application unless it has been more than 3 months.
On-Call Librarian assignment is classified as a part-time hourly worker. Under general direction, performs a variety of professional library work which may include: reference services; services for children and youth; or other special services; and performs related work as assigned. Employees in this category do not receive any benefits except those that are required by law.
This is a part-time hourly, at-will position. Part-time hourly workers do not receive benefits, except as required by law. Job description and pay under review.
The On-Call Librarian provides professional library services including reference, reader advisory, materials selection to meet the general information needs of the public and performs related work as assigned.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
This position reports to the Library Director. This position has no direct reports and works under the supervision of staff.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (May include but are not limited to the following:)
- Provide professional reference and readers' advisory services; instruct patrons in the use of library resources, including reference materials, digital downloads, databases, catalogs and other online resources and the interlibrary loan system
- Conduct library programming for all ages
- Communicate policies and procedures to staff and library patrons
- Provide customer service at reference and circulation desk
- Troubleshoot computer-related issues
- Troubleshoot and resolve a variety of issues related to acquisitions, circulation, and reference materials
- Work on special projects assigned by the Library Director
- Maintain awareness of emerging trends in technology, reference services, and librarianship
- Thorough knowledge of current professional library “best practices” principles, methods, and materials
- Knowledge of library reference materials, automated systems, applications, and tools of research
- Knowledge of applicable federal, state, and local laws, codes, rules, and regulations pertaining to library science
- Knowledge of Larkspur library policies and procedures as they relate to library operations
- Knowledge of service needs and issues, general culture of the public library community
- Knowledge of customer service techniques and approaches
- General knowledge of training techniques to educate patrons
- Knowledge of procedures, methods and techniques of reference, research, classification, indexing, cataloging, and organization of library materials
Skill and Ability in
- Proficient in use of computerized library information systems and tools, such as web browsers, web OPAC, Integrated Library Systems; and in the use of Microsoft Office suite; able to learn and utilize new technology
- Proficient in performing online and electronic searches to gather data and compile information
- Ability to perform effective library reference, readers’ advisory duties, and other professional level library work
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships
- Ability to make procedural decisions and judgments
- Skill in analyzing information logically and creatively to identify problems, draw valid conclusions, and develop effective solutions to operational and customer service problems
- Ability to create, to compose, and edit written materials
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities, conflict resolution and customer service
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
This assignment requires sufficient experience and education related to providing professional library services. A typical way of obtaining the required qualifications is possession of a Master’s Degree in Library Science or similar curriculum from an American Library Association accredited educational program. In addition, at least two years of professional experience in a library setting is highly desirable.
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
This Assignment requires prolonged sitting, standing, walking, kneeling, squatting and stooping in the performance of daily activities. The employee will occasionally be required to climb or balance or crawl. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to video display terminals. The position also requires repetitive hand movement and fine coordination in data entry and preparing reports using a computer keyboard. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. Acute hearing is required when providing phone and personal service. The employee may lift and/or move up to 15 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. The employee may be exposed to dust and/or other allergens.
This is a part-time hourly, at-will position. Part-time hourly workers do not receive benefits, except as required by law.
All required application materials must be submitted. Required materials include:
- A completed application
- Resume attached in PDF format
- Proof of Master’s Degree in Library and Information Science or equivalent (scan of degree or transcript) attached in PDF format
- Complete answers to all supplemental questions
The City of Larkspur is not responsible for the failure of Internet forms or e-mail in submitting your application.
Accommodation: Candidates with a disability who may require special assistance in any phase of the application or selection process should advise Human Resources by emailing email@example.com upon submittal of application.
THE CITY OF LARKSPUR IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER