The mission of the Livermore Area Recreation and Park District is to provide the people of the Livermore area with outstanding recreation programs and a system of parks, trails, recreation areas and facilities that promote enjoyment, lifelong learning and healthy active lifestyles.
Application Start Date: January 29, 2020
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Schedule: 6 hours per week. Must be available to work evenings and some weekends.
Under general supervision, serves in a coaching capacity for swim and/or water polo teams; plans, schedules, and implements a variety of instructional programs and skill-focused training based upon participant abilities. Provides learning tools and equipment; creates and delivers instructional materials; ensures the safety of team participants using safe instructional practices; maintains program records and files; and performs related work as required.
Please submit a District application and resume online at https://www.calopps.org/livermore-area-recreation-and-park-district . Applicants who do not submit all required documents may not be considered.
Based upon all submitted materials, the applicants presenting the best job-related qualifications will be invited to proceed in the recruitment process.
SUPERVISION RECEIVED AND EXERCISED
Receives general supervision from higher-level supervisory staff. Exercises direction over lower-level staff.
This classification is responsible for performing team coaching and instruction duties, including planning and delivery, and ensuring a safe environment for participants. Incumbents regularly work on tasks that are varied and complex, requiring considerable discretion and independent judgment to ensure the efficient and effective functioning of the assigned area. Assignments are given with general guidelines and incumbents are responsible for establishing objectives, timelines, and methods to deliver services. Work is reviewed for soundness, appropriateness, and conformity to policy and requirements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Serves as a subject matter expert in a coaching capacity for swim and/or water polo teams; plans, schedules, and implements a variety of instructional programs with technical guidance and skill-focused training based upon participant abilities.
- Provides information, conducts selection process, and provides feedback to participants. Creates and distributes team rosters and schedules to inform participants on practices, meets, and games.
- Provides strong customer service skills; establishes, maintains, and fosters positive and effective relationships.
- Implements and monitors District policies and procedures; enforces aquatics regulations; cautions patrons regarding unsafe activities.
- Coordinates logistics, itineraries and activities for competitive meets and games in other locations, including transportation, lodging, and equipment needs.
- Inspects and maintains swimming and pool equipment for functionality; ensures proper placement and availability in the pool area; recommends maintenance and repair as needed.
- Receives and responds to questions, concerns, and complaints from patrons; determines issues and resolves or refers to Aquatics Coordinator or Aquatics Supervisor as appropriate.
- Serves as District representative with external organizations; attends and/or speaks at meetings, community and professional functions, and conferences as assigned.
- Provides aquatic safety and supervision for patrons; monitors activities in the water, pool decks, and ancillary areas of District aquatics facilities to prevent accidents and to ensure the safety and well-being of patrons.
- Performs administrative tasks, such as, attending and scheduling meetings, preparing reports, monitoring expenditures, and maintaining records.
- Assists with District special events as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Incumbents work outdoors in a pool environment with wet and slippery conditions, and are exposed to variable weather conditions; may be exposed to chlorine, acids, and other chemicals at aquatics facilities, as well as blood and body fluids while rendering first aid and CPR. Incumbents will interact with individuals in interpreting and enforcing rules, policies, and procedures
Incumbents may be assigned an irregular work schedule, including weekends, early mornings, evenings, and holidays.
Work is primarily performed within a public swimming pool environment, where stamina is needed to perform moderate to heavy lifting of pool equipment and furniture or children and adults who may require removal from the pool, and to stay in the pool for prolonged periods. Must possess the mobility to stand, stoop, kneel, reach, bend, climb, push and pull materials and equipment, and swim while wearing an appropriate uniform with protective equipment. Vision and hearing must be sufficient to see and hear adults and children in crowded and noisy conditions and/or situations. Must also possess: the mobility to work in an office setting and use standard office equipment, including a computer; vision to read printed materials and a computer screen; and hearing and speech to communicate in person or by using a telephone and radio. Finger dexterity is needed to access, enter, and retrieve data using a computer keyboard or to operate safety equipment. Must possess the ability to swim distances and dive to pool depths, as determined by testing/certification authorities, and to lift 150 pounds or heavier weights with assistance and/or the use of proper equipment.
Education and Experience:
- High School Diploma or GED;
- Two years of relevant experience coaching sports teams.
- Any combination of training, education, and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
- Principles and practices of effective coaching techniques, goals, and objectives.
- Principles and practices of leadership, positive reinforcement, and team dynamics.
- Relevant laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Aquatics facility layout needs for specific water sports program area.
- Principles and practices for providing high level of customer service.
- Principles and practices of recordkeeping.
- Occupational hazards and standard safety practices.
- Modern office practices, methods, and computer equipment and applications.
- Serve as a subject matter expert; plan, organize, and implement program goals and objectives.
- Prepare and implement effective team practices, techniques, and coaching.
- Monitor and enforce relevant laws, rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Administer first aid, CPR, and AED as needed.
- Maintain facilities and equipment in a clean, safe, and secure manner.
- Perform work in an efficient, effective, safe, and timely manner.
- Independently organize work, set priorities, meet deadlines, and follow up on assignments.
- Speak effectively in public. Demonstrate strong customer service skills and establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships.
- Use English effectively to communicate in person, over the telephone, and in writing.
Licenses and Certifications:
- At time of appointment, California Driver’s License with a satisfactory driving record maintained throughout employment.
- Completion of American Red Cross First Aid, CPR, and AED training within six months of hire and maintain certification throughout employment.
- Depending on assigned water sports program area, a current certification in the specialty is desirable.
- Department of Justice fingerprint clearance.
- Medical exam and drug testing clearance.
Applicants with disabilities may request reasonable accommodation throughout the selection process. Request for reasonable accommodation during the selection process may be made by contacting the Livermore Area Recreation and Park District prior to the final filing date.
LARPD is an Equal Opportunity/ADA Employer and values diversity at all levels of the organization.