The City of Livermore is currently accepting applications for the position of Public Safety Dispatcher - Lateral. Apply online at www.cityoflivermore.net/jobs to be considered. This recruitment is open until filled and may close at any time.
Public Safety Dispatchers receive 9-1-1 system emergency and non-emergency calls and dispatch assignments according to police procedures. Dispatchers also provide support services; maintain records; and may be assigned to assist in processing of arrested persons.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
The ideal candidate will possess the following knowledge, skills, abilities, & characteristics:
- High energy and excellent multi-tasking and prioritization skills which are required to succeed in this fast paced emergency environment
- A genuine interest in serving the needs of others and the community
- A willingness to learn new tasks as well as perform routine tasks at an optimal level of performance
- Team oriented and an effective communicator
- Willingness and ability to work 11 hour shifts on a 4-11 work schedule
Experience: Employment within the last six months as an emergency dispatcher in a public agency receiving and dispatching 9-1-1 calls, with satisfactory completion of probationary period and performance evaluations which indicate candidate has successfully met or exceeded standards.
Education: Equivalent to graduation from high school. College course work in communications, business administration, or a related field are desirable.
Certifications: Possession of the CA POST Public Safety Dispatcher Certificate and a Typing/Keyboarding Certificate certifying a proficiency of a minimum of 35 net words per minute are required. (Please refer to the supplemental questionnaire for certificate requirements.)
Other and Special Requirements: Willingness and ability to work any shift in a 24 hour period, and holidays, weekends, scheduled and emergency overtime; view all other essential requirements on-line at www.cityoflivermore.net/jobs.
The City of Livermore is an equal opportunity employer and supports workforce diversity.