About the Town
The Town of Los Altos Hills is a semi-rural residential community located in the scenic hills of northern Santa Clara County. The Town's 8,300 residents take great pride in the natural beauty of the Town. Many residents are actively engaged in local government with over 150 residents serving on City Council appointed advisory committees. The Town’s finances are strong due to a steady local real estate market and a prudent expenditure plan. The 2019-20 budget totals $17.1M, which $13.5 is the General Fund. With 23 in-house staff members, the Town provides planning, building, and engineering services; street, drainage, and pathway maintenance; parks and recreation; emergency preparedness and code enforcement; and sewer services. Law enforcement services are provided under a contract with the Santa Clara County Sherriff’s Office and fire services are provided by the Los Altos Hills County Fire District, a dependent district of Santa Clara County.
About the department
The Administrative Services Department has three full-time staff members and one 60% part-time employee, who provide all accounting, financial reporting, human resource and risk management services to the organization. In addition, the department manages contracts that provide information technology support and facilities management. The department uses the Incode/Tyler financial management system and payroll is processed by ADP.
Under the supervision of the Administrative Services Director, performs a wide variety of accounting and statistical record keeping assignments in connection with processing and maintaining accurate financial records. Possible tasks and support will be accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll and customer service. Experience in Government Accounting is highly desirable.
Example of Duties
- Understanding of Accounts Payable and the process.
- Assist in fiscal recordkeeping oversight, such as for payroll, accounts payable, purchase orders, accounts receivable, bank reconciliation, journal entries, month end entries, budget, and audit.
- Perform and maintain accurate payroll records and assist in HR functions.
- Record and maintain statistical and financial reports.
- Assist in monthly, quarterly, and annual financial reporting; coordinate and provide assistance to internal and external auditors.
- Generally accepted accounting principles, practices, and procedures.
- Debits, Credits and Journal Entries.
- Microsoft Office Suite programs.
- Budget process and monitoring.
- Modern office practices and procedures.
The ideal candidate for this position:
- Understands and is able to process Accounts Payable.
- Comfortable learning new software programs.
- Have an exceptional customer service background.
- Multi-task proficiently and is organized.
- Be a team player with ability to positively interface with other departments.
- Possess two years of accounting and finance background.
- Possess and maintain a valid Class C California Driver’s License.
- Fund accounting, strongly preferred.
- CalPERS Retirement
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62. Employees are required by law to pay 50% of the normal cost, or 7.25%.
- New employees who are classic CalPERS member and did not have a break in service for more than 6 months: 2% @ 60. Employees are responsible for CalPERS member contribution, currenlty set at 7.00%.
- Health Insurance – Town provides a generous flexible spending allowance to employees at a rate that currently covers up to the Kaiser premium cost.
- Dental Insurance – Town paid insurance through Met Life Employee Benefits for employee and eligible dependents.
- Vision Insurance – Town paid insurance through VSP for employee and eligible dependents.
- Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment (ADD) Insurance – Town paid Life and ADD insurance for active employees to receive a lump sum amount up to the employee’s annual salary in the event of a qualified loss while employed by the Town.