The Office Assistant I provides administrative support to the Recreation & Community Services Department, which includes program registration, facility reservations, record keeping, customer interaction and point of sale. Duties include responding to phone, mail, email and in-person inquiries, as well as requests from citizens, employees and other City departments. The Office Assistant I performs receptionist duties, including: typing, word processing, use of computer programs and applications, record keeping, organizing and compiling data, filing, computerized data entry, organizing calendars, working efficiently and effectively within the Recreation & Community Services Department and other departments with minimal supervision and with outstanding customer service. While hours are not guaranteed, this position can be expected to work a flexible schedule between 8 - 16 hours per week.
1. Serves as the Recreation & Community Services Department’s first line of customer contact.
2. Establishes and maintains positive relationships with customers, employees, contractors and volunteers.
3. Advises customers on the selection of programs that best fit their areas of interest.
4. Assists customers in determining which rental facility to use for their events.
5. Supports annual & quarterly instructor management tasks.
6. Enters activity data into the registration software.
7. Performs other administrative/clerical duties as assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
KNOWLEDGE OF: Basic office practices and procedures, including filing and the operation of standard office equipment, computers, related software, phone systems, fax/copy machines and email communications; Microsoft Office Suite including Word, Excel and Outlook; correct English usage in written and verbal communications, including spelling, grammar, and punctuation; business letter writing and the standard format for typed materials; policies and procedures related to the department to which assigned; basic business data processing principles; effective time management principles; customer service principles; basic accounting principles.
SKILL AND ABILITY TO: Develop and maintain office files; compose routine correspondence from brief instructions; use initiative and sound judgment within established guidelines; prioritize work and coordinate several activities; multitask; communicate tactfully and effectively with the public, including interpreting and applying detailed rules and policies; rapidly learn, understand, retain and utilize directions, procedures, policies, processes and programs of the Recreation & Community Services Department; provide excellent customer service to staff and customers in-person, email and telephone; work harmoniously as part of a team or independently; successfully perform all the requirements of the position.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND GENERAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Sit at a desk for long periods of time; repetitively use fingers and/or wrists or hands while twisting or applying pressure; maintain mental capacity which allows the capability of making sound decisions and demonstrating intellectual capabilities; have rapid mental/muscular coordination; maintain effective audio/visual discrimination
and perception to the degree necessary for the successful completion of assigned duties; and lift up to 25 lbs, and carry up to 10 lbs; maintain a professional and neat appearance.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
Any combination of the listed experience and education requirements may lead to a qualifying application. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Education: Equivalent to graduation from high school. Completed college-level coursework is desirable.
- Experience: A minimum of one year of administrative experience. Prior experience with activity registration and facility rentals is highly desirable.
- Valid California driver’s license is desirable.
- Previous experience working with the public is desirable.
$13.50 - &18.75 hourly DOE
The recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Human Resources will begin reviewing applications starting on Tuesday, February 13, 2018.
The City of Los Altos has a diverse workforce and is an equal opportunity employer.