Under general supervision of the Recreation Coordinator, the Facility Attendant will be responsible for opening and closing various City facilities, setting up/taking down rooms for outside rental groups and events, performing light cleaning, performing general recreation-related administrative support work, and performing other related duties as assigned. This position supports all City of Los Altos recreational facilities and may be required to work irregular hours during the day, evening, weekend and holidays. The Facility Attendant will be required to work in coordination with fellow City staff to assist in the implementation of recreation activities and perform other related duties as needed and assigned (assisting with department-wide special events, assisting with teen, senior, and preschool programs, as well as performing administrative office duties).
GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all inclusive for specific positions.
1. Checks facility use schedules and is present during events.
2. Prepares, opens and closes facilities for reservations, programs, special events and public use; arranges furniture and equipment for events and ensures set-up is correct; sets-up, takes-down, and maintains audio-visual equipment which includes video projectors, televisions, slide projectors, overhead projectors, and sound systems.
3. Arms/disarms alarm system and checks doors and gates at various facilities to ensure cleanliness and safety.
4. Performs light cleaning as needed including vacuuming, sweeping, mopping, dusting and garbage removal; maintains an accurate schedule and record of work performed.
5. Performs security checks and assures facility use is in compliance with each facility’s rules and regulations for use.
6. Follows City policies in the event of an emergency or security problem.
7. Monitors facility user groups by enforcing rules and regulations and securing and/or reporting damage or unsafe conditions.
8. Documents and reports maintenance issues requiring specialized staff.
9. Monitors use of materials and cleaning supplies, delivers, and stocks supplies at various City locations.
10. Serves as primary contact for evening and weekend events, responding to customer questions and ensuring policies and procedures are followed.
11. Provide customer service during events, answering questions and resolving problems.
12. Monitors work of contract vendors and staff.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
KNOWLEDGE OF: Principles and practices for providing quality customer service; safety procedures and protocols; supporting facilities and events.
SKILL AND ABILITY TO: Use computer equipment for documents, templates and control systems; Observe and take direction; Practice positive and effective oral communication with customers, outside contacts, and all levels of employees; Review, comprehend, and complete all necessary documentation.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND GENERAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Regularly required to sit, stand, walk on level, uneven, and slippery surfaces, climb, balance, reach, twist, kneel, bend, squat, and stoop for prolonged periods of time in the performance of daily activities; May be required to lift, drag, carry, and push equipment, tools, and supplies up to 50 pounds; May be required to work a varied schedule which includes days, evenings, weekends, and holidays; May be required to wear a uniform; May regularly work alone, depending upon job assignment. Maintain professional appearance
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
• Must be at least 18 years of age
• Graduation from high school, or equivalent, is required
• Valid California driver’s license is required
• One year experience performing facility-related services is desirable
• Previous experience working with the public is desirable
• Possession of or ability to obtain a CPR and First Aid certification within 90 days of hire.
IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS: reliable, responsible, possesses good organization and problem solving skills, demonstrates poise and good judgment, enjoys working with the public.
This is a part-time, seasonal position. $16.00 to $20.00 hourly DOE.
This recruitment will remain open until filled. Applications must be submitted online.
The City of Los Altos is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Los Altos upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.