Under general supervision, to perform a variety of skilled manual tasks; to operate light and heavy equipment; specialized and technical equipment; and perform related work as required for Facility Maintenance repairs and projects. This is the next level class above Facilities Maintenance Worker II. Works independently on assignments which require skills and experience in Facilities Maintenance. Uses specialized equipment to perform duties. May be assigned to various divisions.
The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all inclusive for specific positions.
- Performs office remodeling including carpentry, drywall, electrical and lighting system installation and repairs
- Air conditioning heating system and boiler maintenance
- Painting of interior and exterior facilities
- Restoration and installation of property with historical significance
- Maintenance of building plumbing and waste systems
- Maintenance and repair of tennis court lighting, street lighting, and park lighting systems
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS
Skills in carpentry, electrical, plumbing, mechanical maintenance practices, materials, supplies and equipment to perform duties in relation to building/facility maintenance; the operation and maintenance of a variety of light and heavy equipment; safe work practices.
Skill and Ability To:
Perform the duties of carpentry, electrical, plumbing, and mechanical maintenance tasks; work independently; occasionally direct and supervise the activities of assisting personnel; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with the Facilities team, fellow employees and with the general public; follow oral and written directions; maintain accurate records and prepare clear and concise reports.
Physical Requirements and General Working Conditions:
While performing maintenance activities, the Maintenance Technician is required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls; reach; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; lift and/or move 80 lbs. Heavy physical outdoor work may sometimes be required during a normal maintenance work day. Work in inclement weather is also required. Work on holidays, weekends, and nights may be required.
Experience and Education:
Any combination equivalent to experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities would be qualifying. A typical way to obtain the knowledge and abilities would be:
- Equivalent to graduation from High School
- Three years of increasingly responsible experience in Building Construction and/or Facilities Maintenance work.
- Familiarity with OSHA guidelines, Standard Uniform Building Code, and NEC code a plus
- Good computer skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Excel
- Familiarity with maintenance work order systems a plus
- Must possess a valid California driver's license and have a satisfactory driving record
Ideal Candidate Possesses the Following Characteristics:
Is highly professional, patient, respectful, and ethical; possesses excellent problem-solving skills and a can- do attitude. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. Enjoys working in a small town atmosphere with an engaged public, including fellow city employees, merchants, property owners and residents.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
$71,253.00 – $86,608.47 annually DOE.
This is a non-exempt position represented by the Teamsters Union.
- Retirement: CalPERS retirement plan for Classic members is 2% @ 60 with employee paying a contribution of 7%. PEPRA employees participate on a 2.0% @ 62 plan, with employee paying 6.75% of the retirement contribution. Benefits based on highest three years of compensation. The City does not participate in Social Security.
- Health Plans: Choice of HMO or PPO plans through CalPERS Health with most family plans covered at 100%. Employees who waive coverage may receive stipend of $350 per month.
- Dental/Vision: City also offers a dental and vision reimbursement plan.
- Flexible Spending Plan: Dependent care and health care reimbursement plan available
- Deferred Compensation: Voluntary participation in either Nationwide or ICMA-RC
- Holidays: 10 annual holidays, plus two floating holidays
- Vacation: 10 days annually
- Sick Leave: Allowance of 12 days annually
- The City follows a Defined 9/80 schedule with offices closed every other Friday.
A complete City application, cover letter and resume must be received. The recruitment will remain open until filled.
The applicants most closely matching the City’s desired qualifications and organizational needs will be invited to participate in the interview process. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a physical, reference checks and a complete background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; However, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Los Altos is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Los Altos upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.