This is a position working in the Recreation & Community Services Department, assisting with marketing of the department and facilities which will include the use of social media apps and websites. The position will assist with the development of marketing strategies, be involved in developing content for and managing the department’s social media outlets and websites. Responsibilities may include website design and maintenance, photography, tracking the progress of marketing efforts, conduct survey of members/patrons, involvement with special events and other projects as assigned by the Recreation Coordinator. This is a part time position that averages 25 hours per week.
GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all inclusive for specific positions.
- Performs professional public/media relations, marketing and sponsorship sales duties for the Recreation and Community Services Department.
- Develops, writes and distributes promotional collateral materials, brochures, news releases and articles to enhance the image of the City of Los Altos.
- Responsible for website content, email newsletter creation through Constant Contact and social media outreach including but not limited to: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Nextdoor.
- Assists with tasks related to the quarterly publication of the City of Los Altos Recreation & Community Services Activity Guide including editing, cost management and meeting a strict schedule for completion of each edition.
- Assists with the management of contractor agreements for marketing and the Activity Guide.
- Supports Department and community events outreach efforts.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and members of the public.
- May attend a variety of training seminars, staff meetings, clinics, and community meetings.
- Advising on budget preparation as appropriate.
- May cover front desk duties in emergency situations.
- Gathers and compiles routine, statistical information and create narratives in order to assist in preparing reports.
- May provide clerical support, program registration, answer telephones, and maintain correspondence with other divisions or agencies.
- Other Recreation & Community Services duties as assigned.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
KNOWLEDGE OF: The principles, practices and technology used in marketing and effective outreach using social media techniques as appropriate for a municipality. This includes familiarity with marketing trends, and the technology used to assist in marketing recreation programs and services.
SKILL AND ABILITY TO: Respond effectively to citizen needs; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others; maintain accurate, organized and complete records; use basic computer applications including Microsoft Office; prepare press releases, and other written information; effectively communicate with others and assimilate and understand information; work in a variety of conditions including indoor, outdoors, standing, sitting, alone, and in the proximities of others.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND GENERAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and walk about the facilities or program sites while performing the duties. Repetitive hand and arm motion, and fine finger manipulation in the use of a computer. Moderate physical effort required, including lifting up to 25 pounds. May be exposed to dust, odors, oil, fumes and noise while carrying out regular duties.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Completion of at least one year of college
- 2+ years of experience working with the public or in the marketing field
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism at all times
- Effective written and verbal communications skills and strong problem solving skills
- Effective computer skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Knowledge of marketing and marketing trends is highly desirable
- Experience with publication software, particularly Adobe InDesign and Canva, is preferred
IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS: Is highly professional, patient, respectful, ethical and organized; has a can-do attitude. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. Enjoys working in a small town atmosphere with an engaged public, including merchants, property owners and residents.
Temporary employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Since the City does not participate in Social Security and is required to provide an alternative retirement plan, you are required to participate in the City's defined contribution retirement plan through Nationwide where 3.75% of your gross compensation per pay period is deducted and put into the plan. The City matches this 3.75% for a total contribution of 7.5% of your gross compensation per pay period.
This is a part-time, temporary position. Approximately 25-29 hours per week.
$25.00 to $30.00 hourly DOE
The recruitment will remain open until the position is filled with a first review date of November 19, 2019. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a livescan background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Los Altos is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Los Altos upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.