Under the supervision of the Recreation Manager, the Recreation Facilities Coordinator plans, organizes and coordinates usage for all Recreation & Community Services Department facilities. This position is also responsible for the training and supervision of the part-time staff that is responsible for facility preparation and oversight.
EXAMPLES OF TYPICAL JOB FUNCTIONS (Illustrative Only)
Management reserves the right to add, modify, change, or rescind the work assignments of different positions and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job.
- Coordinates scheduling and usage needs for all Recreation facilities in Los Altos through the use of the recreation registration system (RecTrac). This includes all Recreation & Community Services buildings as well as gyms, sports fields and rentable picnic areas.
- Analyzes facility demand in order to prepare facilities for seasonal usage levels through maintenance services and related equipment availability.
- Works with all facility users to ensure needs are met in order to maximize the positive experience of facility use.
- Regularly audits facilities to identify issues and report to maintenance staff.
- Maintains inventory of facility equipment and supplies.
- Studies and is familiar with department policies and regulations; is able to assess such information and make recommendations as necessary.
- Enforces policy and procedure within scope of responsibility.
- Recruits, trains, schedules, and supervises hourly employees and volunteers.
- With assistance and direction from the Recreation Manager, documents and monitors hourly staff performance to ensure services and activities are delivered at the highest level possible.
- Ensures accurate and timely completion of hourly staff schedules and time cards.
- Prepares and/or coordinates recreation facility publicity.
- Tours and supervises facilities and provides hands on assistance or guidance when necessary.
- Conducts regular team meetings to engage staff, communicate work assignments, and keep staff apprised of pertinent department information and safety topics.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and members of the public.
- Respond to requests and inquiries from the general public in a timely manner; provides information regarding facilities.
- Assists in pursuing additional resources for infrastructure improvements through grant applications, solicitation of donations and other fundraising activities.
- Conducts and attend a variety of training seminars, staff meetings, clinics, and community meetings.
- Assists the Risk Manager with restitution issues that arise from facility damage caused by non-city users.
- Assists with preparing individual program or facility budgets as appropriate.
- May assist in planning, organizing, developing, and scheduling community facilities.
- May open and close facilities.
- May perform emergency custodial maintenance work. Set up tables, sports equipment, chairs, and bleachers for rentals, classes and programs.
- Gathers and compiles routine, statistical information and create narratives in order to assist in preparing reports.
- May provide clerical support through program registration, answer telephones, and maintain correspondence with other divisions or agencies; may respond to public inquires about the facility.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
The principles, practices and technology used in the coordination of community facility usage. This includes extensive customer service experience, familiarity with facility components and equipment used for meetings and programs, ability to create and manage spreadsheets and experience with facility reservation software.
Respond effectively to facility issues and citizen needs; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others; maintain accurate, organized and complete records; use basic computer applications including Microsoft Office and RecTrac; train and coordinate the work of hourly and volunteer personnel; prepare reports, press releases, and other written information; make sound decisions in a manner consistent with the essential job functions; effectively communicate with others and assimilate and understand information in a manner with the essential job functions; work in a variety of conditions including indoor, outdoors, standing, sitting alone and in the proximities of others; work irregular hours including nights, weekends and holidays.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in recreation or a closely related field
- 2+ years of increasingly responsible experience in recreation services department
- Knowledge of the principles of effective supervision
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism at all times and discretion where necessary
- Effective written and verbal communications skills and strong problem solving skills.
- Effective computer skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Office products. Skilled in use of desktop publishing is desired.
- Experience in facility reservation management is preferred
- Knowledge of budget preparation methods and procedures
IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS: Is highly professional, patient, respectful, and ethical; possesses excellent problem-solving skills and a can-do attitude. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. Enjoys working in a small town atmosphere with an engaged public, including merchants, property owners and residents.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and walk about the facilities or program sites while performing the duties. Repetitive hand and arm motion, and fine finger manipulation in the use of a computer. Moderate physical effort required, including lifting up to 25 pounds. May be exposed to dust, odors, oil, fumes and noise while carrying out regular duties.
The recruitment will remain open until the position is filled. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a livescan background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
This position is open until filled with a first review date of November 25, 2019.
Recreation Coordinator (Facilities) - $67,708.16-$ 82,299.69 DOE
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Los Altos is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Los Altos upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.