Los Altos is a unique blend of a small village atmosphere and tree-lined streets with the influence of the Bay Area’s cultural, recreational, and business attractions. The mission of our city staff, council, commissions, committees, and volunteers is to foster and maintain the City of Los Altos as a great place to live and to raise a family.
The Marketing Specialist will lead and establish marketing strategies and best practices for the Recreation & Community Services Department, including specific-programs, events, parks, and facilities. This position will employ traditional and digital marketing and communications techniques to develop content, manage social media platforms and webpages, curate collateral, and increase awareness of department offerings. This position will assist with marketing a new 24,500 square foot, Gold LEED equivalent Community Center that will open in spring 2021. This is a part-time position that averages 30-38 hours per week.
The Marketing Specialist will learn & be exposed to:
- Public sector experience
- Diverse work environment
- Participation in training seminars and clinics
GENERAL ACCOUNTABILITIES: The following statements are intended as general illustrations of the work in this job class and are not all-inclusive for specific positions.
- Performs professional public/media relations, marketing, branding (Parks Make Life Better), community engagement, and sponsorship sales duties for the Recreation & Community Services Department.
- Coordinate and execute streamlined communication for the Recreation Department.
- Support brand awareness through social media and email marketing, event planning, and other digital and traditional marketing campaigns.
- Develop written and visual content utilized for social media, webpages, emails, brochures and newsletters.
- Develops, writes, and distributes promotional collateral materials, power point presentations, flyers, postcards, brochures, news releases and articles to enhance the image of the City of Los Altos and the Recreation & Community Services Department.
- Responsible for website content, email newsletter creation through Constant Contact and social media outreach including but not limited to Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Nextdoor.
- Assists with tasks related to the quarterly publication of the City of Los Altos Recreation & Community Services Activity Guide including editing, cost management and meeting a strict schedule for completion of each edition.
- Supports Department and community events outreach efforts.
- Builds and maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, other city employees and members of the public.
- May attend a variety of training seminars, staff meetings, clinics, and community meetings.
- Advise on budget preparation as appropriate.
- May cover front desk duties in emergency situations.
- Gathers and compiles routine, statistical information and create narratives to assist in preparing reports, charts, or graphs.
- Lead and coordinate community engagement efforts including workshops and survey development and implementation.
- Provide clerical support, program registration, answer telephones, and maintain correspondence with other divisions or agencies.
- Other Recreation & Community Services duties as assigned.
- Member of the City’s COVID Communication Team.
- Works closely with Recreation Supervisors, Public Information Officer, and the Los Altos Community.
MINIMUM POSITION REQUIREMENTS:
KNOWLEDGE OF: Principles, practices and technology used in marketing and effective outreach using social media techniques as appropriate for a municipality. This includes familiarity with marketing trends, and the technology used to assist in marketing recreation programs and services.
SKILL AND ABILITY TO: Respond effectively to citizen needs; establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others; maintain accurate, organized and complete records; use basic computer applications including Microsoft Office; prepare press releases and other written information; effectively communicate with others and assimilate and understand information; work in a variety of conditions including indoor, outdoors, standing, sitting, alone, and in the proximities of others.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND GENERAL WORKING CONDITIONS: Regularly required to sit or stand, reach, bend, and walk about the facilities or program sites while performing the duties. Repetitive hand and arm motion, and fine finger manipulation in the use of a computer. Moderate physical effort required, including lifting to 25 pounds. May be exposed to dust, odors, oil, fumes, and noise while carrying out regular duties.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Completion of at least one year of college
- Pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, or Public Relations from an accredited college/university
- 2+ years of work and/or internship experience with the public or in the marketing field
- Must possess excellent communication, organization, problem-solving, and time management skills
- Effective written and verbal communications skills and strong problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of professionalism always
- Basic/Intermediate photography skills
- Understanding of email marketing software i.e Constant Contact
- Experience with publication software, particularly Adobe InDesign and Canva, is preferred
- Effective computer skills; working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Understands and can quickly grasp latest marketing and communication trends
- Maintains positive working relationships
- Situated in the charming small town (city) of Los Altos
- Short walk to vibrant Downtown
- Flexible work schedule
- Tight-knit, supportive team
- Inclusive, open minded work atmosphere
- Weekly City staff wellness and bonding activities
- Mentorship from the Recreation Management Team and Public Information Officer
IDEAL CANDIDATE POSSESSES THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS: Is highly
professional, patient, respectful, ethical, and organized; has a can-do attitude. Communicates effectively and proactively both verbally and in writing. Enjoys working in a small-town atmosphere with an engaged public, including merchants, property owners and residents.
Temporary employees are non-benefited, at-will positions. Since the City does not participate in Social Security and is required to provide an alternative retirement plan, you are required to participate in the City's defined contribution retirement plan through Nationwide where 3.75% of your gross compensation per pay period is deducted and put into the plan. The City matches this 3.75% for a total contribution of 7.5% of your gross compensation per pay period.
This is a part-time, temporary position. Approximately 30-38 hours per week.
$25.00 to $30.00 hourly DOE
The recruitment will remain open until the position is filled with a first review date of November 3, 2020. Prior to hire, candidates will be required to successfully complete a pre-employment process, including a livescan background investigation. A conviction history will not necessarily disqualify an applicant from appointment; however, failure to disclose a conviction will result in disqualification or termination.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
The City of Los Altos is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in employment on the basis of a person’s race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, mental or physical disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age or sexual orientation. Candidates with a disability, which may require special assistance in any phase of the application or testing process, should advise City of Los Altos upon submittal of application. Documentation of the need for accommodation must accompany the request.
LIMITATIONS AND DISCLAIMER
The above job description is meant to describe the general nature and level of work being performed; it is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required for the position. All job requirements are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.