We are seeking energetic and outstanding individuals to join our team. Ideal candidates are committed to working with their community in total partnership as we work together to improve the quality of life for everyone who works, lives and plays in our city. Public Safety Dispatchers are tasked with dispatching first responders including police, fire and medical services.
This position requires English language usage, spelling, punctuation, and grammar, as well as the ability to learn and apply rules and procedures involved in maintaining police and fire records and files. Applicants must type at a minimum, corrected rate of 30 words per minute, and learn to operate radio, telephone, and teletype equipment. Applicants must be able to understand and carry out oral and written direction, establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work, and remain calm in an emergency situation.
Education and training may be any combination equivalent to the experience and education that would likely provide the required knowledge and abilities to perform the job. Applicants must possess a high school diploma or equivalent, a valid California driver’s license, and valid vehicle insurance.
- Additional compensation for Training Officer and POST Certification.
- Longevity Pay
- $800/year uniform allowance
- Annual Leave (Vacation and sick Leave combined) – Annual leave is accrued based on length of service, with beginning accrual at 18 hours per month.
- Health Plan – The City provides a generous allowance for health, dental, vision and life insurance. Health insurance is currently provided through SJVIA Insurance Group. Dental and vision care are provided by the City of Marysville through a self-insured plan.
- Long term disability and life insurance are provided through Standard Life Insurance.
- Short Term Disability/Social Security – The City of Marysville does not participate in State Disability Insurance (SDI) or Social Security, except for Federal Medicare.
- Holidays – Employees receive 12 paid holidays per year accrued at a rate of 8 hours per month. Employees assigned to ongoing shift work in dispatch or patrol receive pay for these holidays in lieu of time off by receiving one paid holiday per month.
- Retirement – The employee pays the 7% employee and 5% employer contributions to Public Employees Retirement System (PERS) 2% at 55 plan. New PERS Rate effective 1/1/13, 2% at 62 plan.
- Deferred Compensation – The City offers a voluntary Deferred Compensation Plan.
- Un-Reimbursed Medical
In addition to an application, you must include your resumé and a typing certificate indicating you are capable of typing 30 wpm or more.
The selection process may consist of an application screening, written test, an oral panel interview, interview by the Chief of Police, or any combination of these to establish an employment list. Candidates must receive a minimum passing score of 80%. It will be necessary to pass a background investigation, as well as a medical examination, drug screening, and a psychological evaluation by physicians selected by the City of Marysville.