The Menlo Park Fire Protection District invites you to apply for the position of IT Intern. This is a part-time internship for the technically oriented person that requires flexible hours. It is an ideal opportunity for a MIS, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science major, college graduate or for those who are computer literate and would like to develop skills and gain hands-on experience in website management and help-desk and desktop support. This position reports to the IT Manager.
Perform all aspects of support related to the day to day computing needs for District employees. Provide support via phone, e-mail and Intranet as well as perform problem determination at the users’ workstations throughout the District. Special projects will be set up that align with your academic goals.
- Diagnose and resolve computer problems and requests from users in a timely manner. Log requests into the help system
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot hardware, including desktops, laptops, peripherals, network equipment
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot software packages, including operating systems, desktop software and custom applications
- Recommend hardware and software improvements
- Conduct internal software upgrades
- Maintain inventory and prep hardware for recycling
- Data Entry. Input and Quality Control Index customize forms to database
- Special Projects assigned
- Attention to detail
- Strong technical, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Ability to maintain calm demeanor under customer deadline pressures
- Customer focus and dedication to customer satisfaction
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong initiative, self-motivation, and ability to complete tasks on time
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, team environment
- Working knowledge of 7 / 8 / 10 / OS X Desktop Operating Systems
- Working Knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite / Office 365
- Working knowledge of IOS operating system for tablets and phones
- Familiarity of Desktop and Laptop hardware components
- Familiarity with basic IT concepts
- Working towards a Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information System Technology or related degree
- Knowledge of network protocols and topology a plus
- Preferred A+ Certification and/or Network+ Certification
- Knowledge of imaging software a plus
Applications are accepted until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early. Only those candidates who have the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will continue in the process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee continuation in the process.
This is a temporary, non-benefited position.