Menlo Park Fire Protection District Cadet Program
If you are interested in getting into a career as a Firefighter, you will not want to miss the opportunity to join this program. Our Cadet program has placed over 50 firefighters into entry level positions with our District as well as a number of others throughout California. During this one year program, you will be gaining valuable hands on experience to help prepare you for a successful career in the fire service.
The Cadet program is an unpaid work experience program hosted by the Menlo Park Fire Protection District in conjunction with the College of San Mateo.
About the District:
Located in the heart of the Silicon Valley, between San Jose and San Francisco, the District serves Menlo Park, Atherton, and East Palo Alto. The District’s core mission is to deliver essential, first-responders, and fire suppression services in response to land and structural fires and medical emergencies. The Fire District also provides fire prevention services and engages with the community in the areas of emergency preparedness and natural disaster response. The District staffs 7 stations and an administrative office with 140 full-time employees.
In order to be eligible you must:
- Have a State of California EMT or National Registry EMT certification (or currently enrolled)
- Possess a valid driver’s license and a driving record with minimal violations
- Have a Firefighter I Academy certification (or proof of “student in good standing” letter signed by an Academy Instructor if currently enrolled)
- Have not been previously enrolled as a Cadet through the College of San Mateo
- Be 18+ years of age at the time of application
- Go to https://www.calopps.org/ , search Fire jobs, and apply to the Menlo Park Fire Protection District Fire Cadet position. This recruitment closes 8/31/19 at noon.
- Application Period: 8/1/19 – 8/31/19
- Invitations to Interview: e-mailed to best qualified applicants week of 9/1/19
- Interviews will be held on September 13th and 14th
- Selected applicants will complete a LiveScan (fingerprinting)
- There will be two mandatory orientations, mid-December and the first week of January 2020. (The beginning of the one-year term will coincide with the College of San Mateo Spring school semester.)
- Each Cadet will be required to attend a specific day of the week Monday - Saturday for a 24 hour shift. Attendance shall be in accordance with semester dates as determined by the College of San Mateo.
- Cadets may be required to purchase uniforms after a being selected and by their 1st day of their Cadet time.
- Cadets must register with the College of San Mateo for spring, summer and fall semesters.
- Each Cadet must remain in “good standing” with the Menlo Park Fire Protection District and the College of San Mateo or the Cadet may be removed from the program at any time.
Benefits are not offered with this position.