The Menlo Park Fire Protection District invites you to apply for the position of Information Technology Support Assistant (Public Service Assistant I/II). This is a part-time, temporary position for the technically oriented person that requires flexible hours. It is an ideal opportunity for a MIS, Computer Engineering, or Computer Science major, college graduate or for those who are computer literate and would like to develop skills and gain hands-on experience in website management and help-desk and desktop support. This position reports to the IT Manager.
Perform all aspects of support related to the day to day computing needs for District employees. Provide support via phone, e-mail and Intranet as well as perform problem determination at the users’ workstations throughout the District.
- Diagnose and resolve desktop computer problems and requests from users in a timely manner. Provide assistance via phone, e-mail, remote access, and onsite support; escalating more complex requests to senior staff members. Log requests into the help system
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot hardware, including desktops, laptops, peripherals, network equipment
- Install, configure, and troubleshoot software packages, including operating systems, desktop software and custom applications
- Conduct internal software upgrades
- Maintain inventory and prep hardware for recycling. Assist in creating documentation and training manuals.
- Data Entry. Input and Quality Control Index customize forms to database
- Train end-users in operating systems, application programs, and basic computer functionality.
- Special Projects assigned
- Attention to detail
- Analyze situations accurately and adopt an effective course of action.
- Ability to maintain calm demeanor under customer deadline pressures
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Strong initiative, self-motivation, and ability to complete tasks on time
- Ability to work well in a fast-paced, team environment
- Working knowledge of Windows 10 / OS X Desktop Operating Systems
- Working Knowledge of the Microsoft Office Suite / Office 365
- Working knowledge of IOS operating system for tablets and phones
- Familiarity of Desktop and Laptop hardware components
- Familiarity with basic IT concepts
- Working towards a Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Information System Technology or related degree
- Knowledge of network protocols and topology a plus
- Preferred A+ Certification and/or Network+ Certification
- Knowledge of imaging software a plus
Applications are accepted until filled. Interested candidates are encouraged to apply early. Only those candidates who have the best combination of qualifications in relation to the requirements and duties of the position will continue in the process. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee continuation in the process.
This is a temporary, non-benefited position.