Join our dynamic and growing library, and be part of a team that gives our community the opportunity to learn, grow, and connect. The Menlo Park Library seeks per diem library assistants to work in various divisions: youth services, program planning and promotion, and adult services.
Temporary library assistants in youth services assist patrons and other staff members. They may provide story time sessions, host programs, create displays and bulletin boards, and assist with collection maintenance and development.
Temporary library assistants providing support for program planning and promotion may help with submitting marketing requests, distributing marketing material, tracking expenses, and coordinating programs.
Temporary library assistants in adult services assist with various collection development projects, working on computers and working in the stacks.
Candidates are invited to choose the area of preference in the Supplemental Questions section. Assignment to one or more areas of the library will depend on applicants’ preferences, prior experience, and skill sets.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- Excellent customer service and communication skills, including problem-solving and flexibility
- Ability to work in a busy environment
- Proficiency with general office software
- Proficiency with library search tools
- Proficiency with ILS (Integrated Library Systems) a plus for adult and youth services assistants
- Ability to work some night or weekend shifts
Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to the completion of the twelfth (12th) grade
- Two (2) years of office clerical or customer service experience or one (1) year of experience working in a library
These are non-benefited temporary positions. A temporary employee may not work more than 1000 hours per year and will receive sick leave in accordance with State Law.
This recruitment will be continuously screened and candidates may be asked to come in for interviews until the positions are filled.