Menlo Park Library seeks qualified candidates for on-call librarian positions in both the Adult and Youth Services divisions.
These extra-help, non-benefitted positions work on-call providing excellent customer service while performing a variety of professional library duties. Those duties could include reference, reader’s advisory, collection development and other tasks at a public information desk; leading events, programs or book clubs; digital literacy training for the public; and performing related work as assigned at the Menlo Park Main or Belle Haven branch library. A can-do attitude, a positive outlook, efficiency, approachability, and responsiveness to internal and external needs are all essential traits. Having a passion for libraries and a library's role in bridging technology gaps is required. Knowledge about technology, teaching and learning, and diversity is a must. Creativity, innovation, and flexibility are key to providing the quality of service our community deserves.
Schedules vary based on the needs of the library system. Both Menlo Park Library locations are open on Saturdays and Sundays. Selected candidates from this applicant pool may be assigned to work at either location. On-call librarian positions are scheduled for less than 20 hours per week and may not exceed 980 hours within a twelve (12) month period.
TYPICAL TASKS include, but are not limited to:
- Use tact, initiative, prudence, and independent judgment to provide service to our library users within general policy and legal guidelines.
- Establish, maintain, and foster positive and effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
- Provide assistance to and advise patrons of all age groups in the effective use of the Library’s collection, facilities and services; demonstrate the use of library resources, tools, equipment, and electronic reference sources; assist with digital downloads and respond to difficult or technical questions as they relate to the use of electronic resources. Compile subject bibliographies
- Answer readers’ advisory and general reference questions from telephone, webpage and in-person queries by accessing a variety of print and non-print resources, including electronic resources
- Develop an assigned area of the Library collection; review and analyze collection use; recommend books and materials for purchase based on patron needs and according to the variety of patron ages, abilities, education, interests, cultures, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Participate in the preparation of exhibits and the organization and presentation of a variety of programs or events for library patrons
- Perform other duties as assigned that support the overall objective of the position
Please see click on the Job Description URL for full details about this position.
The ideal candidate brings:
- Excellent customer service
- Ability to respond to difficult complaints and requests for information with equanimity, openness and deep empathy for all the people with whom we engage
- The ability to provide quality service to a diverse community
- Ability to work in a busy environment
- Strong work ethic, a great sense of humor and a commitment to be a team player
- Dedication to exploring new ways of engaging the public and showing them all that the library has to offer
- Proficiency with automated library systems and other computer applications
- Experience helping the public with typical library eResources such as eBooks and databases
- Proficiency with online search tools and strategies
- Good analytical, oral, and written communication skills including problem-solving and flexibility
- Ability to work some night or weekend shifts
- Bilingual skills
Education and Experience: Master of Library and Information Science (MLIS), Master of Library Science (MLS), or Master of Science in Library Science (MSLS) degree from an accredited college or university. Spanish bilingual skills desirable but not required.
These are non-benefited temporary positions. A temporary employee may not work more than 1000 hours per year and will receive sick leave in accordance with State Law.
This recruitment will be continuously screened and candidates may be asked to come in for interviews until the positions are filled.