Do you have a passion for the outdoors, trails, and preserving open space? Are you bright, innovative, and experienced in Diversity, Equity & Inclusion? If so, then Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District has an excellent opportunity for you to join our team and establish our newly created Diversity, Equity & Inclusion Specialist position!
About Midpen: Midpen is a regional greenbelt system in the Santa Cruz Mountain region comprised of more than 65,000 acres of land with more than 250 miles of trails in 26 extraordinary open space preserves, permanently protected for natural resource conservation, public enjoyment, and recreation. Midpen is a public agency with a focused mission that guides our work, and where every employee makes an impact. If you are looking for an outstanding opportunity to contribute to the legacy of open space protection, natural resource restoration and outdoor recreation, working with an incredible team of like-minded colleagues, we invite you to apply for this position! Check out the Working for Midpen video on our Employment Opportunities page.
About the Position: As part of Midpen's Human Resources Department, the new DEI Specialist will be the driving force behind overall organizational diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives for the entire District. Highly qualified candidates have experience championing, implementing, and measuring the success of DEI initiatives. This is an exciting opportunity for a knowledgeable professional with a passion for DEI and proven experience to establish this position and have an impact on organizational change!
Top tier candidates have current, relevant and working experience and knowledge of best practices and policies to support diversity, equity and inclusion in the public sector including:
- Recruitment, selection, and retention. Including the assessment of organizational needs and implementing methods to proactively source and recruit a diverse qualified applicant pool for consideration of employment with Midpen.
- Training and professional development. Provide relevant District-wide training and development to staff at all levels to support cultural awareness and competency.
- Data preparation and presentation. Research, analyze, and summarize data; prepare accurate and logically written reports; conduct independent projects; and present to senior management, executives, and Midpen’s Board.
- DEI employee committees. As a subject matter expert, the DEI Specialist will serve on District DEI employee committees.
- Outreach & Collaboration: Develop, maintain, and increase partnerships and relationships with diverse external organizations, public agencies, and community groups.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills.
- Meticulous attention to detail and outstanding follow through.
- Superb organizational skills.
- The ability to meet critical deadlines.
- Active listener.
- Experience working in the public sector.
For additional information about the position, see the Job Description on our website.
A Few Reasons Why You May Love This Job
- Collaborative work that directly supports Midpen’s mission to protect and restore the natural environment
- You’ll be part of a talented and dynamic team whose work contributes to providing nature’s benefits to everyone
- Hybrid and 9/80 work schedule
- Excellent employee benefits, including medical, dental, vision, tuition reimbursement, and a retirement pension through California Public Employees Retirement System (CalPERS)
Education and Experience: We realize your time is valuable, so please apply only if you have at least the required minimum qualifications outlined here: Any combination of training and experience that would provide the required knowledge, skills, and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain the required qualifications would be:
- Equivalent to graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major coursework in business administration, public administration or a related field, and
- three years of professional analytical experience
- public sector experience, particularly related to diversity, equity and inclusion-related programs, is preferred
Licenses & Certifications Required: Possession of a valid California Driver’s License.
Benefits: Midpen provides an excellent benefits package including health, life & disability insurance as well as CalPERS pension. Please see the Benefits page on our website for details.
A note to applicants who currently live outside of the San Francisco Bay Area: before committing to the application process, and if you haven’t done so already, we suggest evaluating the feasibility of relocation. We recommend researching the cost of living in the San Francisco Bay Area, the cost to relocate, and typical commute times to Los Altos from outlying areas.
How to Apply: apply online at CalOpps.org
(To avoid missing email communication about this recruitment, add email@example.com to your contacts or list of safe senders.)
Application deadline is April 16, 2023. Applicants with the most relevant experience and qualifications suitable for the position will be contacted for an interview.
The following application items are required*:
1. Fully completed CalOpps employment application
2. Cover letter
4. Supplemental question responses
*Incomplete CalOpps employment applications, or applications without the required application items listed here, will not be considered for the position.
(Dates are subject to change. We are unable to accommodate individual schedules.)
First Interview (virtual): April 27, 2023
Written Exercise (virtual): May 1, 2023
Second Interview (in person): May 2, 2023
Final Interview with General Manager (in person): May 5, 2023
Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Retirement Plan – CalPERS 2.5% @ 55 for Classic Members; 2.0% @ 62 for PEPRA Members.
Social Security – District does not participate in Social Security; however, it does pay toward Medicare.
457 Deferred Compensation Plan - optional
Medical Plan – choice of HMO or PPO plans through CalPERS – District contributes towards insurance premiums.
Dental Plan - Delta Dental – District paid.
Vision Plan – VSP – District paid.
Flexible Spending Plan – optional pre-tax,
· Dependent Care Reimbursement Account
· Medical Reimbursement Account
Life and AD&D Insurance – District paid.
Employee Assistance Program –District paid.
Vacation – starts at 15 days per year.
Personal Leave – 36 hours of leave per year.
Holidays – 11 paid holidays per year.
Sick Leave – 12 days per year – no cap on accumulation; up to 72 hours per year may be used for Family Sick Leave.
Midpen will notify you via email:
- When your online application was successfully submitted, and
- With the status of your application (after all applications have been reviewed)
If you do not see these two emails, please first check your spam/promos folders. If you still have not received our emails, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will research the status of your application.
To avoid missing our email communication regarding your status in this recruitment, add email@example.com to your contacts or list of safe senders.