Are you looking for a great opportunity to connect with your community while investing in your future? Do you want to see first-hand what it’s like to engage in active, multi-generational work that directly contributes to the well-being of our greater Mill Valley community? If you answered yes, then you belong with Mill Valley Recreation! With our team, you will create memorable experiences while cultivating new and lasting connections within our greater Southern Marin Community. You will have the opportunity to grow and learn through consistent, quality training and, apply your learning through direct hands-on experience.
DEFINITION: Under general supervision, the Field Monitor provides operational support and supervision of Mill Valley parks, outdoor fields, offsite facilities, and occasionally the Mill Valley Community Center. Responsibilities will include but will not be limited to patrol and observation of outdoor facilities, ensuring compliance with facility regulations and use guidelines, general customer service, light office tasks, and the performance of other related work as required. This is a part-time, year-round position.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- Monitor user activities in department facilities and enforce all rules, regulations, and safety principles.
- Patrol field, park and offsite facilities to monitor rental schedules and permitted use.
- Act as a liaison to the outdoor recreational community for the Recreation Department.
- Provide quality customer service and information for all Department facilities, classes, programs, and events.
- Maintain appearance and overall environment of facilities by completing daily tasks and cleaning as needed.
- Occasionally assist with the coordination and execution of Department-sponsored outdoor events or classes.
- Maintain records and reports as required.
- Enforce all rules, regulations and safety principals.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours including evenings, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to take the lead in completing assignments when working with a partner or on a team.
- Respond professionally to emergencies, provide care as indicated under the scope of training.
- Deal tactfully and courteously with the public and build positive relationships with other staff.
- Actively attend and participate in required staff training.
- Reads and follows diagrams and instruction written in English.
- Ability to communicate clearly both orally and in writing.
- Perform related duties as required.
TRAINING & EXPERIENCE: Any combination of education, training, and experience, which likely provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Candidates receiving a conditional job offer must pass a pre-placement fingerprint review. The employee must satisfactorily complete an evaluatory period before obtaining regular status. Candidates must possess a current CPR/AED and First Aid certificate and be comfortable calling 911 in an emergency.
- Certifications - Has certifications or is willing to obtain certifications within 4 weeks of obtaining job.
- Availability to work flexible hours outside of a typical workday (weeknights and weekends).
- Customer Service oriented (patient and responsive).
- Attention to Detail.
- Prompt, timely.
- Enjoys the opportunity to get moving and away from the desk while they work.
- Opportunity to work in a wonderful facility with supportive colleagues.
- Receive a membership to our Aquatic and Fitness Center with employment.
- Receive discounts to programs, please ask hiring staff more about how to qualify for this opportunity.
The City of Mill Valley utilizes CalOpps.org to accept and process employment applications.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City's official application form, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participant in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process. Paper applications may be obtained from the City of Mill Valley at City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941 or by calling (415) 388-4033x4835.