Up to $20/hour, depending on experience
32-40 hours/week, Monday through Friday, possibly some weekends
Under supervision, the Seasonal Groundsworker performs semi-skilled and skilled tasks in general grounds maintenance and related work as assigned. The incumbent typically works on a team but occasionally may be assigned to perform tasks independently.
Examples of duties include:
- Operating hand and power equipment typical of grounds maintenance
- Fertilize, cultivate, and water vegetation, landscapes, and fields
- Use spades, rakes, hoes, and other hand tools for the preparation of ground for seeding and planting
- Mows, weeds, trims, and renovates fields, landscapes, medians, etc.
- Trims, cuts, and prunes shrubs and trees with handsaws and other basic pruning tools
- Performs general grounds maintenance including clean-up, trash pick-up, raking, sweeping, etc.
- Performs some repair and maintenance work to keep equipment in proper condition
- Performs related duties as assigned
Work is performed in an outdoor setting in both developed and undeveloped areas. Work may be accessed through difficult terrain. Work requires frequent bending, lifting, stooping, pushing and pulling motions for a variety of tasks. Work may involve repetitive motions. Work may be performed in all weather conditions.
Any combination of education, training, and experience equivalent to the completion of the 12th grade and three years of practical experience in general grounds maintenance and/or garden work may be considered qualifying.
Essential job-related qualifications include:
- Understand and follow written and oral directions
- Employ common sense and safety-awareness
- Don appropriate attire and personal protective equipment at all times
- Valid California driver's license
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50lbs
- Ability to bend, sit, stand, kneel, stoop, lay, walk, push, pull, and any other related movements and/or positions commonly associated with grounds maintenance activities
- This position is subject to a pre-hire physical examination and background check
This is a seasonal job, there are no additional benefits associated with this position.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City's official application form via CalOpps, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include on or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.