ABOUT MILL VALLEY:
The Sewerage Agency of Southern Marin (SASM) is a joint powers authority (JPA) that provides wastewater collection, treatment, water reclamation, and disposal for 30,000 Southern Marin residents. The City of Mill Valley, a member of the JPA, provides staff and administration for SASM.
SASM is located along the waterfront in Mill Valley in close proximity to Highway 101, San Francisco, nature preserves, and iconic recreational areas.
Mill Valley has grown from a small mill town to the modern full-service city it is today. With almost 150 full-time employees and an annual operating budget of $42 million, the City of Mill Valley prides itself on efficient, effective and courteous service delivery with a commitment to operational excellence.
ABOUT THE POSITION:
A newly created position, the Lead Mechanic/Electrical and Instrumentation Technician will be at the forefront of the plant’s maintenance operations and critical to the success of the recent multi-million-dollar renovation.
Under general supervision, the Lead Mechanic/Electrical and Instrumentation Technician performs a variety of skilled journey-level mechanical, electrical, electro-mechanical and instrumentation tasks at the wastewater treatment plant and related facilities. This position also assists with the supervision of the maintenance team and provides leadership in the field.
Examples of important and essential duties include (but are not limited to):
- Programs, configures, and analyzes recording and electronic or pneumatic control instruments and related equipment; maintains, operates, installs, adjusts, and calibrates systems and equipment.
- Assures that plant instrumentation equipment is maintained and repaired properly to provide safety, reliability, and efficient operations.
- Develops, troubleshoots and maintains sophisticated PLCs, maintains SCADA and HMI systems.
- Upgrades, tests, calibrates, repairs and maintains all electrical systems, circuits, and equipment.
- Provides project coordination and assists with team supervision.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will be a proven leader with a strong record of efficient and productive performance. He/she should not only be adept in the required knowledge, skills, and abilities but possess enough experience and expertise in such a way as to enable the incumbent to successfully lead, teach and mentor their team.
Core knowledge, skills, and abilities include (but are not limited to):
- Knowledge of the tools and procedures used in mechanical and electrical repair, engine maintenance and other related trades.
- Knowledge of applicable codes and regulations.
- Knowledge and ability in math sufficient to calculate volumes, areas, lengths, percentages and conversions, power and voltage, etc.
- Knowledge and ability to maintain SCADA Systems and other supervisory controls.
- Knowledge and ability to install, maintain, and repair industrial electrical systems.
Experience and training includes:
- High school education or equivalent.
- Five (5) years of experience at a journeyman level in the mechanical and instrumentation maintenance of sophisticated plant equipment; preferably wastewater treatment or equivalent.
- Possession of a CWEA Electrical/Instrumentation Grade II Certificate (or equivalent) is required.
- Supervisory experience is highly desirable
- Technical college certification in electricity or electronics, completion of an apprenticeship program, and/or additional relevant CWEA or CSWRCB certification is highly desirable.
The City of Mill Valley prides itself in its workforce and is pleased to offer a generous benefits package. This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Association (AFSCME).
- Leave – the City provides a generous leave package:
- 14 holidays and floating holidays/personal days
- 2 to 5 weeks of vacation leave based upon years of service
- Health Insurance – City provides the full premium for the Kaiser Family Plan or the equivalent thereof for employees who elect Health Net HMO or Health Net PPO.
- Dental Insurance – City provides the full premium for Delta Dental
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62
- New employees who are “classic” CalPERS members and do not have a break in service of more than 6 months: 2.5% @ 55
- 457 Deferred Compensation – the City offers up to $300/year in matching contributions toward deferred compensation
- City pays the premium for Long-Term Disability Insurance and Life Insurance ($50,000)
- Free pool/gym membership at the Mill Valley Community Center
- Discounts on classes, facility rentals, and camps provided by Mill Valley Recreation
The City of Mill Valley utilizes CalOpps.org to accept and process employment applications.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City's official application form, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process. For questions call (415) 388-4033x4835.