Under general supervision, the Maintenance Worker is assigned to the Streets and Sewers Division of the Public Works Department and is responsible for performing a variety of skilled and semi-skilled tasks and operating power-driven road maintenance or construction equipment and trucks.
Examples of duties include:
- Operation and maintenance of power-driven street, sewer, and construction equipment
- Cleaning of sewer lines and storm drains
- Performance of concrete work and other construction and street resurfacing projects
The ideal candidate will be highly responsible, safety-conscious, and have a positive attitude. Ideally, the qualified individual will have several years of experience operating motorized equipment (used for heavy construction) and at least two years of public works construction and maintenance experience. Expertise in sewer construction and maintenance is highly desirable.
The City of Mill Valley prides itself in its workforce and is pleased to offer a generous benefits package. This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Association (AFSCME).
- Leave – the City provides a generous leave package:
- 14 holidays and floating holidays/personal days
- 2 to 5 weeks of vacation leave based upon years of service
- Health Insurance – City provides the full premium for the Kaiser Family Plan or the equivalent thereof for employees who elect Health Net HMO or Health Net PPO.
- Dental Insurance – City provides the full premium for Delta Dental
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62
- New employees who are “classic” CalPERS members and do not have a break in service of more than 6 months: 2.5% @ 55
- 457 Deferred Compensation – the City offers up to $300/year in matching contributions toward deferred compensation
- City pays the premium for Long-Term Disability Insurance and Life Insurance ($50,000)
- Free pool/gym membership at the Mill Valley Community Center
- Discounts on classes, facility rentals, and camps provided by Mill Valley Recreation
The City of Mill Valley utilizes CalOpps.org to accept and process employment applications.
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City's official application form, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include one or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.
Paper applications may be obtained from the City of Mill Valley at City Hall, 26 Corte Madera Avenue, Mill Valley, CA 94941 or by calling (415) 388-4033 x4835.