Salary: $7,253 - $9,721/Month DOE + Benefits
Deadline to apply: Monday, October 17, 2022
Under the direction of the Laboratory Director/Environmental Compliance Manager, the Laboratory Analyst conducts work performed in the Wastewater Treatment Plant Laboratory including chemical, physical and microbiological analysis of sewage, receiving waters, sewage treatment plant process streams, and its byproducts.
Examples of Essential Duties (include but are not limited to):
- Performs physical, chemical, microbiological and whole effluent toxicity analysis of environmental samples using standard procedures that include, but are not limited to, solids, pH, alkalinity, hardness, BOD, chlorine residual, and others.
- Schedules collection and analysis of regulatory and process control samples.
- Evaluates and interprets analytical results and prepare reports.
- Instructs and trains operations staff in performing analyses or proper collection of samples.
- Maintains laboratory and sampling equipment per quality assurance manual.
- Represents the Agency at public events, professional meetings and regulatory forums.
- Provides information and technical support on sampling programs and analytical techniques.
The ideal candidate will be self-motivated, detail oriented, and comfortable working both independently and as a part of a team. He/she should possess excellent math and computation skills, as well as be proficient in the use of computers, software, and other technology. The ideal candidate will have an advanced understanding of sampling procedures, as well as chemical, microbiological, and whole effluent toxicity testing methods.
Recommended experience and training includes:
- Bachelor of Science degree in chemistry, biology or closely related field.
- Two years of experience in a wastewater analytical laboratory is preferable.
Please make sure to read the Job Description for complete information on the job and requirements.
The City of Mill Valley prides itself in its workforce and is pleased to offer a generous benefits package. This position is represented by the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees Association (AFSCME).
- Leave – the City provides a generous leave package:
- 15 holidays and floating holidays/personal days
- 2 to 5 weeks of vacation leave based upon years of service
- Health Insurance – City provides the full premium for the Kaiser Family Plan or the equivalent thereof for employees who elect Western Health Advantage HMO.
- Dental Insurance – City provides the full premium for Delta Dental
- New employees with no prior CalPERS service or have a break in CalPERS service of 6 months or more: 2% @ 62
- New employees who are “classic” CalPERS members and do not have a break in service of more than 6 months: 2% @ 55
- 457 Deferred Compensation – the City offers up to $300/year in matching contributions toward deferred compensation
- City pays the premium for Long-Term Disability Insurance and Life Insurance ($50,000)
- Free pool/gym membership at the Mill Valley Community Center
- Discounts on classes, facility rentals, and camps provided by Mill Valley Recreation
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the City's official application form via CalOpps, but should accompany the application. All applications and resumes will be reviewed to select those applicants whose qualifications appear to most closely match the requirements of the position. A limited number of qualified applicants may be invited to participate in the subsequent phase(s) of the recruitment process, which may include on or more of the following: written examination, performance examination, assessment exercises, oral interviews, and complete background checks. Meeting the minimum qualifications does not guarantee advancement in the selection process.