The City of Millbrae Invites Applications for the Position of Seasonal Maintenance Worker (limited term).
The City of Millbrae is now accepting applications for Seasonal Maintenance Worker in the Public Works department.
SELECTION PROCEDURE: Incomplete applications will be not be considered. The most qualified candidates may be invited to participate in an interview.
MEDICAL EXAMINATION: Appointment is contingent upon the results of the job related medical evaluation which will include a physical examination, administered at no expense to the candidate. A drug screening test will be administered as part of this exam.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of the City of Millbrae to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees & applicants for employment meeting bona fide occupational qualifications, regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex or handicap.
IMMIGRATION REFORM & CONTROL ACT: To comply with the Immigration Reform & Control Act, effective November 1986, all potential employees will be required to provide proof of U.S. citizenship or authorization to work in the United States.
BACKGROUND CHECKS: Criminal & personal history background checks may be performed.
Definition: Under general supervision, the Maintenance Worker performs a variety of unskilled, semiskilled, and skilled manual tasks and related work as required in the water, streets, storm, facilities and collection system divisions of Public Works Utilities and Operations.
Essential Duties: The Public Works Maintenance Worker duties include:
- Operating jack hammers to break up concrete sidewalks, curbs and gutter asphalt roadways, storm drains, and street light bases.
- Mixing and finishing cement including sidewalks, curbs, gutters and containment walls.
- Using appropriate equipment to apply traffic paint and maintain and fabricate street signs.
- Performing heavy labor, shoveling and lifting, in the construction and repair of sewers, streets, water and storm drain lines and services.
- Performing in and responding to emergency calls including repair and installation of sewers, streets, water and storm drain lines and services.
- Operating small trucks with manual or automatic transmissions, two-ton dump trucks, personnel hoists, and tamping equipment.
- Helping construct forms, boxes, fences, walls, and barricades.
- Performing cleaning and minor maintenance of buildings and facilities.
- Keeping simple records of daily activities, purchase receipts, and inventories including reading meters and test samples.
- Using construction tools including asphalt rakes, shovels, hammers, tapping equipment, cement finishing equipment, chain saws and light mechanical equipment.
- Cleaning City easements and right-of-ways of weeds, trees and debris.
- Read water meters.
- Must maintain a thirty-minute response time to the job site, in order to answer after hours and weekend service calls as required.
Special Requirements: Must possess and maintain a valid CALIFORNIA Class "C"Driver's License for operate in high vehicle traffic areas and construction sites; speak clearly and understandably. Requires moderate and sometimes strenuous exertion including bending, stooping, crouching, crawling, climbing, lifting, twisting, carrying and/or handling up to one hundred (100) pounds. Work in confined spaces and wear protective garments. May work in conditions that require exposure to noise, odors, chemical and biological agents, gases, and contact with sanitary wastewater. Ability to report to work at any hour of the day or night as required during a disaster or other emergency situation. MUST maintain a thirty-minute response time to the job site when answering after hour and weekend service calls. Shall be a second responder to support supervisors in emergencies. Carry communication equipment after work hours.
Knowledge of: Basic construction techniques; basic building maintenance and repair; asphalt and cement finishing techniques; general tools used in construction or maintenance work; construction, repair and maintenance.
Ability to: Think and act quickly in emergencies; judge situations and people accurately; understand and carry out oral and written directions; meet standards of adequate physical stature, endurance and agility; establish and maintain cooperative relationships with fellow workers.
Education: High School Diploma or GED.
Experience: At least one year full-time or four years part-time experience in semiskilled construction maintenance work.
License: Must possess and maintain a valid a Class C California Driver's License with a satisfactory driving record.
THIS IS A TEMPORARY SEASONAL POSITION
There are no benefits offered for this temporary seasonal position.